Thread: Fake Alert trojan

Freewayflyer08 Guest

Default Fake Alert trojan

Trojan 'Fake Alert' has loaded and is running. I deleted smss32.exe out of my startup up tray, but it is still there. I have tried clicking on the ZA icon on the lower right. ZA will not run. I tried starting it from the 'program menu'. It will not run. How can I get it to start and scan?

I am currently running in safe mode. I looked at the thread:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

and I guess I will try the second half of the fix now, unless anyone else has a better idea.

Freewayflyer08 Guest

Default Re: trojan blocking ZA?

trojan is apparently blocking any downloads from cnet or other sources.

Freewayflyer08 Guest

Don't know how, but I got ZA to start a scan, it updated, and is scanning now.

Freewayflyer08 Guest

I am still running in safe mode, the scan was completed, several things were quarantined, but the trojan is still giving me alerts and pop ups, and it is still in the startup tray, even though I have deleted it a couple of times. Am now running rootkit scan.

How do I get rid of this evil thing???????

Freewayflyer08 Guest

Default Fake Alert trojan

I started posting in the anti virus anti spyware section:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73014

No one has jumped in, so,after searching thru the forum, this Malware subsection may work better.

I've done the deep scan, and am running the root scan. Currently running in safe mode, but still getting Fake Alerts, and ZA occasionally pops a warning that smss32.exe is trying to access the internet.

I don't really have a clue what I am doing, but searching here and other places is helping a little.

Could really use some expert help.

ZAISS 9.1.008.000
    Windows XP Pro, w/SP3
    Dell desktop

Default Re: Fake Alert trojan

Quote Originally Posted by Freewayflyer08 View Post
    I started posting in the anti virus anti spyware section:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73014

No one has jumped in, so,after searching thru the forum, this Malware subsection may work better.

I've done the deep scan, and am running the root scan. Currently running in safe mode, but still getting Fake Alerts, and ZA occasionally pops a warning that smss32.exe is trying to access the internet.

I don't really have a clue what I am doing, but searching here and other places is helping a little.

Could really use some expert help.

ZAISS 9.1.008.000
    Windows XP Pro, w/SP3
    Dell desktop

I'm sorry, but ZA Tech Support and Checkpoint Customer Support do not Monitor or Read this User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

If no User Voluneers a solution, you may contact Tech Support Live Text Chat Support Directly (Free of Charge with your Valid ZA License Key) Monday thru Friday at the link in my Signature..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Freewayflyer08 Guest

Default Re: Fake Alert trojan

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    I'm sorry, but ZA Tech Support and Checkpoint Customer Support do not Monitor or Read this User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

If no User Voluneers a solution, you may contact Tech Support Live Text Chat Support Directly (Free of Charge with your Valid ZA License Key) Monday thru Friday at the link in my Signature..
    I figured that out pretty quickly. For $50 bucks, it would be cheap to get the live support to get rid of this thing. I have my license written down, and ready to go, will try that first. My word processor appears to work in safe mode, and if it doesn't, I will be in line with ZA early Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Freewayflyer08 View Post
    How do I get rid of this evil thing???????
    I have consolidated all post in one. No need to post the same issue across different sections. I don't think ZA support can assist free in cleaning malware. But you just need to keep following the clean guidance and do ALL the steps. If you see you can't get rid of it just get the help from malware experts (its free!) at spywarehammer or bleepingcomputer.

The only trick is to keep calm, do not rush and perform all steps.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 30th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information