Thread: ZA Extreme quit unexpectedly when PC was idle

dan_b Guest

Default ZA Extreme quit unexpectedly when PC was idle

I used my PC for a few hours and noted ZA running normally. Then I was away from it for maybe 2 hours and when I returned, the 'Z' icon was gone (never happened in the 2+ years I've used ZA). I checked WinPatrol for running programs, and it was not there! This is a little disconcerting- has anyone else had this problem? (version is 9.1.008.000)

Default Re: ZA Extreme quit unexpectedly when PC was idle

Quote Originally Posted by dan_b View Post
    I used my PC for a few hours and noted ZA running normally. Then I was away from it for maybe 2 hours and when I returned, the 'Z' icon was gone (never happened in the 2+ years I've used ZA). I checked WinPatrol for running programs, and it was not there! This is a little disconcerting- has anyone else had this problem? (version is 9.1.008.000)
    to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dan_b Guest

PC: Dell Desktop / Pentium 4-HT
    Windows OS: XP
    ZA Product: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, v9.1.008.000
    Other security: Windows Defender and WinPatrol
    Also: Secunia recently installed

Quote Originally Posted by dan_b View Post
    PC: Dell Desktop / Pentium 4-HT
    Windows OS: XP
    ZA Product: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, v9.1.008.000
    Other security: Windows Defender and WinPatrol
    Also: Secunia recently installed
    Here is the possible problem:

WinPatrol, has many features that will Conflict with ZA Extreme..

WinPatrol Features:

"This program uses a simple yet effective method of fighting all kinds of malicious programs. It inspects several spots in the Windows system malware is most likely to alter, including programs launched at start-up, browser helper objects, scheduled tasks, services, and cookies. WinPatrol consumes few resources and doesn't slow your PC. You can set the interval between checkups; the default is every three minutes. If something new installs on your PC, the program notifies you and asks whether you want the newcomer. This won't cure serious infections, but it will save you from annoying adware and malicious sites that hijack your browser home page. You can view full reports in HTML format, and the app even lets you manage which programs launch on system start-up. Improved cookie handling is taken care of by Pinky the Squirrel, who eats "cookies with nuts"--that is, cookies that contain user-defined nuggets of text, such as ads. Users who install a lot of new software will find the program invaluable. "

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor,WinPatrol, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 31st, 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Update info.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information