Thread: Extreme Security 9 blocks Tweak7

billster6809 Guest

Default Extreme Security 9 blocks Tweak7

System: Windows7, 64bit, 8GB RAM, AMD quad-core processor.

Situation: I use a program called Tweak7, from totalidea.com. Every time an update is published for that program, I have to uninstall ZA, install the update, and then reinstall ZA. Shutting down ZA isn't enough; it has to be uninstalled.

I have given the Tweak7 application and service the maximum 3-bars access, but that doesn't help.

When the Tweak7 upgrade starts to do its online registration/validation, I get the following dialog, and the upgrade aborts: "The setup was unable to access setup specific keys of the Windows registry. Cannot continue!"

Once I uninstall ZA, this upgrade completes successfully.

Any guidance on how to have ZA let this program do what it wants to the registry? It's a system enhancement application, and does access unusual registry keys.

Cool Re: Extreme Security 9 blocks Tweak7

Quote Originally Posted by billster6809 View Post
    System: Windows7, 64bit, 8GB RAM, AMD quad-core processor.

Situation: I use a program called Tweak7, from totalidea.com. Every time an update is published for that program, I have to uninstall ZA, install the update, and then reinstall ZA. Shutting down ZA isn't enough; it has to be uninstalled.

I have given the Tweak7 application and service the maximum 3-bars access, but that doesn't help.

When the Tweak7 upgrade starts to do its online registration/validation, I get the following dialog, and the upgrade aborts: "The setup was unable to access setup specific keys of the Windows registry. Cannot continue!"

Once I uninstall ZA, this upgrade completes successfully.

Any guidance on how to have ZA let this program do what it wants to the registry? It's a system enhancement application, and does access unusual registry keys.

I have ZA Extreme Security 9.1 installed on Windows 7 64-bit with 6 GB Ram with no problems letting 3rd party utilities downloading updates..

This indicates that you have not Properly configured "Tweak7" Program access correctly for Zone Alarm

Any program that you Trust that does an ET Phone Home to check for Updates, also need additional Settings in ZA program Control / Program Section..

in addition to the Three Green Bars for super Trusted, it also needs three Green Check marks from the Left..

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

billster Guest

Default Re: Extreme Security 9 blocks Tweak7

In program settings for Tweak7, there are 3 entries: The application, 'Tweak-7', the service, 'Tweak-7 System Service', and the new setup/upgrade program I try to run, 'Tweak-7 SetupHelper'. The last item is actually a temporary file in users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\_ir_sr_temp_1 called Tweak-7_SH-x64.exe

For all three of these, I have set Smart Defense=Custom, Trust Level = 3 green bars, and also checked Access Trusted+Internet, Server Trusted+Internet, and SendMail.

I have enabled everything I can see. I did all of this before bringing this issue to the forum. This is still resulting in the failure scenario I reported previously. (Note: I also tried SmartDefense=auto with no difference in results).

The suspicious behavior item popup from ZA I get during setup is "Setup Application is trying to launch c:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\_ir_sf_temp_0\t7-x64.exe, or use another program to gain access to privileged resources".

I allow this, go through a couple wizard pages in the setup, then click on the 'activate setup' button. That is when I receive the 'unable to access setup specific keys' and the installation aborts.

Is there an additional 'allow this' item I have missed?

Thread Information