Thread: Zonealarm and Firefox 3.6 addons

Hybrid View

blackcanis Guest

Default Zonealarm and Firefox 3.6 addons

I have tried to research this on the forums and on firefox but am not seeing posts that seem to match my problem.

I am running windows xp sp3 etc, zonealarm extreme 9.1.008.000, forcefield 1.5.53.4.

My problem started with the firefox 3.5 versions - most (but not all) of the addons I have installed (ghostery, adblock plus, speeddial, greasemonkey, cooliris and babelfish) will not install when forcefield is enabled in the builtin version of ZA extreme. For some weird reason, babelfish and adblock works, but the others don't load.

When I start firefox 3.6 - then goto Tools>>>Addons - it gives me a list of all the addons, it appears that adblock plus is loading, then the weirdness starts where the list of all the other addons states that "they will load the next time firefox starts."

Restarting firefox at this point returns you to the same problem.

A previous forcefield solution of turning off forcefield, uninstalling firefox and extensions and reinstalling everything gets everything up and running again (including updates) UNTIL you turn forcefield back on then it's back to the original problem.

I can run without forcefield up I suppose but this is rather perplexing to me.

Can anyone shed some light in this dark corner of ZA extreme that I find myself in? Even better, if anyone else is having the same problem a shoutout would be nice so I don't feel like I'm alone in the dark with the lamest computer ever! Thanks in advance for your help/advice!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 24th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

Default Re: Zonealarm and Firefox 3.6 addons

I am not sure I follow... the trick is to never allow firefox or its addons to update when ZA forcefield is ON. You set updating to manual and you update when needed with ZA forcefield completely OFF.

Is this what you do?

Here below you find a complete FAQ for firefox and Forcefield:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=69972

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 14th, 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

blackcanis Guest

Smile Re: Zonealarm and Firefox 3.6 addons

~~ Snip ~~ OffTopic..

Anyway,
    I already had done the following:
    1) turned off forcefield

1.5) Safe mode maneuver with "Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults" and "Reset toolbars and controls"

2) uninstalled firefox (after clearing cache, temp files

3) reinstalled firefox WHILE forcefield was off

4) Ran firefox and updated everything a bunch of times til current

At this point everything works great with regards to addon.

Then, I turn On forcefield and all the addons (except babelfish for some weird reason) stop working. Investigations into the addon page say "these will be added at the next restart." I restart it and it just does the same thing over and over with the addons (with exceptions of babelfish) just not loading.

I then got to playing around with enabling and disabling addons to see if some cosmic permutations or factor of pi would somehow, possibly, make it all work. Nope, completely buggered. In fact, I could not disable or enable various addons while forcefield was ON. When it was off everything worked fine.

I hope this clarifies my problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times (figured maybe 3rd time was the charm).

Thanks again in advance for your interest Fax, I look forward to your insight!

Sleepless, but not in Seattle.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 22nd, 2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: edit Offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by blackcanis View Post
    Then, I turn On forcefield and all the addons (except babelfish for some weird reason) stop working.
    This seems the part that you still have problem with the fact that you have to install updates and add-on BEFORE turning ON forcefield.

Assuming everything is reset and clean then:

1. Turn forcefield off or ensure is off.
    2. Open firefox, load one (1) addon.
    3. Use firefox and the addon and double check both work as expected
    4. Close firefox.
    5. With Forcefield STILL OFF clean the forcefield virtual data.
    6. Wait a minute or two
    7. Turn ON forcefield
    8. Open Firefox. All working OK?

If 8 is yes then, do 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 for each addon up to when you find the addon that conflicts with forcefield.

When you found the culprit please report to ZA technical support. They are the only ones that will be able to properly troubleshoot the issue and escalate to development if bugs are found.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 23rd, 2010 at 06:04 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

blackcanis Guest

Smile Re: Zonealarm and Firefox 3.6 addons

Fax,

I'll do as you say and do it in a stepwise fashion. Thanks for taking the time to help

I'll report back in a few days once I get time to play on the computer again.

I will report to ZA tech as well once I get a handle on this.

Thanks again!

blackcanis Guest

Fax,

One more thing,

I did install all the addons AND the updates BEFORE turning on forcefield. I did them en masse instead of one at a time. Sorry if I wasn't clear in the previous posting.

Cheers!

Thread Information