Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup

pctechiej Guest

Default Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup

I have been using Zonealarm free firewall for a few weeks now. Every time I reboot my pc, windows security center pops up and notifies me my firewall is not turned on. In order to turn it on, I manually go to the program folder and click Zonealarm. I checked the Zonealarm settings and the "run on startup" box is checked. I also went to msconfig and it is listed in the startup tab. Any help you can give would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    pctechiej
    Dell Inspiron 537s
    Vista Home Premium SP 2 64-Bit
    500 GB HDD
    4 GB RAM
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.70 GHZ
    IE 8

Default Re: Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup

1.) check ZA Menu Overview, Preferences, Make sure that "Load Zone Alarm at Startup" is Checked..

2.) if above is Checked, make sure that any other Security Program installed is not Blocking or conflicting with ZA Free Firewall..

3.) Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. make sure Windows Firewall in Turned OFF.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pctechiej Guest

Thanks for your reply. I checked the pref. and the "load at startup" box was checked. I also am only running the ZA firewall, no others. I am currently using AVG AV 9, Ad-Aware, & Spybot S&D. Could any of these interfere with startup?
    Thx for your help.
    pctechiej

Cool Re: Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup

Quote Originally Posted by pctechiej View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I checked the pref. and the "load at startup" box was checked. I also am only running the ZA firewall, no others. I am currently using AVG AV 9, Ad-Aware, & Spybot S&D. Could any of these interfere with startup?
    Thx for your help.
    pctechiej

Yes.. As each Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Programs Evolve, they add more Features to their programs that Increasingly begine to conflict with other Security programs..

Here is a List of Programs and features that may conflict with Zone Alarm..

McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    GeorgeV

pctechiej Guest

I am currently using 2 of the conflicting prgrms. What would you suggest I do? I do like ZA because it monitors both incoming and outgoing traffic....
    I've used AVG forever, but will change if you have a suggestion. What would you do about Spybot S&D? Thx, pctechiej

Quote Originally Posted by pctechiej View Post
    I am currently using 2 of the conflicting prgrms. What would you suggest I do? I do like ZA because it monitors both incoming and outgoing traffic....
    I've used AVG forever, but will change if you have a suggestion. What would you do about Spybot S&D? Thx, pctechiej
    The AVG should be OK with ZA Free, Just check the AVG Configuration to make sure if it has a Registry Guard, then turn OFF that feature..

I would Uninstall and Replace Spybot S&D with the FREE "MBAM" MalwareBytes.. http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72635

Please Post back here with your Progress Report
    GeorgeV

pctechiej Guest

Default [ReSolved]Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup- Spybot S&D

I currently use MBAM and update and scan with it regularly...I will uninstall Spybot S&D. One strange thing, though, I scanned with MBAM and it didn't catch and ad-ware I had on my system, but Spybot S&D did. Do you think I wil be adequately protected w/out Spybot S&D? I checked AVG and it doesn't have a registry protector. Thx, pctechiej
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 19th, 2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: make Title relavent to problem

Yes, I think you will be adequately protected w/out Spybot S&D..
    GeorgeV

garywa Guest

Just my 2 cents... I removed Spybot S&D a couple years ago along with Ad-Aware. I didn't want to risk a possible conflict with ZA as GeorgeV explained here.

One of the things I liked about Spybot was the immunize function. It basically added known malware sites to the HOSTS file on your PC. This blocked access to these sites even by accident.

What I have done instead and in no way conflicts with ZA is to install the mvps HOSTS file on my PCs. It is updated about once a month and protects me from ending up on a website that may contain malware.

You can read about it and download it from here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

pctechiej Guest

Hi,
    I removed Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware. Restarted the computer and ZA started up with out a problem. I'm going to investigate and install mvps HOSTS file software. I did email Spybot S&D to see if they could shed any light on the conflict between Spybot S&D and ZA. I'll post when I get a response.
    Thanks for all the help, GeorgeV & garywa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information