Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup

pctechiej Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup

I tried installing MVPS Hosts, but AVG kept telling me it was infected with a trojan. The site I was downloading it from was:http://download.cnet.com/windows/
    Any advice would be helpful,
    pctechiej

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pctechiej View Post
    I tried installing MVPS Hosts, but AVG kept telling me it was infected with a trojan. The site I was downloading it from was:http://download.cnet.com/windows/
    Any advice would be helpful,
    pctechiej
    Well, there are only two thoughts I can offer:

1. I always download the mvps HOSTS file from their own website at the link I posted, not any mirror site

2. I've never used AVG so I have no idea how it works or what it scans for. When ZA scans the downloaded file, it has never found a problem with it.

pctechiej Guest

I'll try downloading from the host site and see if that works. I'll post my progress. Thx, pctechiej

garywa Guest

About an hour ago, I downloaded and installed the Feb-09 file on my desktop. I had no problem.

One word of caution - sometimes the websites they put on the list to block is a little too aggressive. Some shopping/advertising sites are blocked when I click on links looking for special offers. All you get displayed in your browser is a generic "website cannot be reached" type of error message. What I am trying to explain is that its not obvious that the HOSTS file is to blame. Until I got used to it, my first thought was that there was something wrong with my internet connection. I had to change my thinking to first check if the site was listed in the HOSTS file. Then I had to decide if I really wanted to go to the particular website. If I do, then the HOSTS file has to be edited first.

As an example, one site site they block (that I unblock) is server.iad.liveperson.net. The problem with this site being blocked is that this is the service ZA uses for their tech support and customer support live chat sessions. With it blocked, you can't start a live chat session.

To unblock a particular entry, simply put a pound sign (#) followed by a {space} in front of the line. The line entry is then treated like a comment, not a site to be blocked. You could delete the line, but this way the original text is still there.

They update the file about once a month so I have to remember each time I download a new file to unblock this entry. So far, this is the only entry I have found necessary to unblock.

Below is the specific entry I am referring to:

If AVG detects a trojan in the file when you try and download it directly from the mvps website, I would highly suspect that it is a false positive. This would be something to bring up to the AVG support group.

Once I have the HOSTS file in place, I use Windows Explorer to set the file properties to Read Only as a little extra insurance. Some malware will actually change entries in the HOSTS file.

Finally, I lock the HOSTS file in ZASS. You are using the free firewall which I am not familiar with, so I don't know if this option is even available to you. But, I go into Firewall --> Main --> Advanced and in that settings option window, I check the box in front of Lock Hosts File. Look to see if this option is available to you in the free version. If not, setting the file properties in Windows to Read Only will be the best you can do to secure it.

pctechiej Guest

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes once I download it from mvps.org
    Regards,
    pctechiej

pctechiej Guest

Default Re: [ReSolved] Zonealarm Free Firewall Doesn't load at startup- Spybot S&D

I received an email from Spybot S&D support and followed their directions to resolve the conflict between ZA and Spybot. I restarted the pc to test the ZA startup and had no problems. I decided not to go with the mvps hosts since Spybot will now work with ZA. Please find text of email from Spybot Support below:
    Hello,
    You only need to disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    That's the way to deactivate it: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.
    Best regards,
    Meik
    Team Spybot
    Thanks for all of your help,
    pctechiej
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 19th, 2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: make title relavent to problem

garywa Guest

You're welcome. I hope the advice you received works out for you.

adhav Guest

u can restart the system for loading or uninstall the software and install iot again. Initially while loading the free ware from zonelalarm server to ur system it would have missed some of the components due to network congestion. Try to download it again, install it and use it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information