Thread: UI initialising

suewh Guest

Default UI initialising

Please, please can someone help??

I have Zonealarm Extreme Security - purchased on January 26th 2010.
    I run it on my laptop which has Vista home basic.
    I have spent the whole of this evening chatting to ZA technical support, following their instructions and had no success.
    I dont claim to be a computer brain but the instructions they gave were easy to follow: I did a clean uninstall following the link they gave. Then I did an uninstall via system 32 etc.

One thing I have noticed though is when I downloaded ZA the icon on my desktop also has a small coat of arms which I think might have something to do with Windows - Do you think this is what is causing trouble to my Zone alarm.

I am getting really frustrated with it. I have no protection on my computer which is worrying

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Sue

Default Re: UI initialising

Quote Originally Posted by suewh View Post
    Please, please can someone help??

I have Zonealarm Extreme Security - purchased on January 26th 2010.
    I run it on my laptop which has Vista home basic.
    I have spent the whole of this evening chatting to ZA technical support, following their instructions and had no success.
    I dont claim to be a computer brain but the instructions they gave were easy to follow: I did a clean uninstall following the link they gave. Then I did an uninstall via system 32 etc.

One thing I have noticed though is when I downloaded ZA the icon on my desktop also has a small coat of arms which I think might have something to do with Windows - Do you think this is what is causing trouble to my Zone alarm.

I am getting really frustrated with it. I have no protection on my computer which is worrying

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Sue

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

From the Information you have provided, It does sound like a BAD Install of Zone Alarm Extreme..

However, there are Several other Unkown Factors that me also play a role in your Problem..

1.) Vista Home Basic, is a Very Minimal version of Windowsa Visata that comes with Lots ofr Known problems of its own, Vista Home Premium, is also na lOW End version o0f Vista, but much Better than Vista Basic..

2.) How Much Ram Memory does your Laptop have?
    Preograms Run Much better is you have Twic3e the Basre Minumum Ram Memory..

3.) Most Computer come with Pre-Installed 3rdParty Secrity Software like Norton or McAfee that will Conflict with or Prevent the install or proper Operation of Zone Alarm Extreme..

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

===================

Please Post back here with your Progress Report
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

suewh Guest

Under system it says I have 1.00GB - Memory (RAM).

The only security I have on my computer is Windows Security (can I get rid of this, and if so how???), although the computer came with McAfee. I uninstalled McAfee before I installed ZA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suewh View Post
    Under system it says I have 1.00GB - Memory (RAM).

The only security I have on my computer is Windows Security (can I get rid of this, and if so how???), although the computer came with McAfee. I uninstalled McAfee before I installed ZA.

Thanks
    No Windows OS will not allow you to Remove Windows Firewall or IE..

As for McAfee removal?
    McAfee and Norton leave lots of Registry entries behind when removed with ADD/Remove or regular Uninstall, that may conflict with ZA or other Security Programs..

The following Post from the Helpful Hints and Links Section may be of some help..

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=39422

Both Symantec and McAfee provide a Special Removal tool on their Web-site to properly Remove their Files?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Stator Guest

Hi,

I don't know if this is the same kind of problem but it sounds similar...

I'm operating with Windows XP Media Centre (SP2) and run ZA Extreme 9.1.008.000.

Occasionally (about 2 boot-ups in 10) ZA fails to load. The "Z" icon appears in the tray but is accompanied with the windows red security shield. Hovering over the sheild with the mosue to view the issue seems to inidcate that ZA protection is down and the "Z" then promptly disappears. On one occasion a family member had used the machine for some time before I realised they were without protection!

A reboot often results in a normal operation. Not even that is neccessary as just running the zone alarm program from the desktop icon brings it up to normal operation.

Any ideas about failed intialization?

PS. It does not do this on my Vista Home premium laptop (apparently not anyhow!)

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Stator View Post
    Windows XP Media Centre (SP2) and run ZA Extreme 9.1.008.000.
    Please note that ZA does not support any flavour of Windows XP MCE. It works fine for some users but not others. Search the board, there were many cases posted in the past about it.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Stator Guest

fax thank you for bringing that to my attention, I didn't know that. Incidentally I have run ZA products previously flawlessly with MCE.

It's not a massive issue as I keep my eye on it. Previously I ran ZA ISS which was excellent. I'm going to invest in a new machine probably very soon (Windows 7 64 bit which I gather works fine) so I'll live with it. I'm a fan of ZA going back years.

Ok! Thank you for your feedback

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information