Thread: Printer sharing on PCs that are connected to the internet via a wireless router

gad Guest

Default Printer sharing on PCs that are connected to the internet via a wireless router

Hello,
    I'm running XP, Zone Alarm with two PCs that are connected to the internet via a wireless router. Those two computers get their IPs dynamically from the router (each one gets either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2).

My basic configuration of ZoneAlarm is as followed:
    <Network card> 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0 Adapter Subnet Internet
    Loopback adapter 127.0.0.1 IP Address Trusted
    Router 10.0.0.138 IP Address Trusted

Notice that the Network card's IP is changed dynamically (can be 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 as well, it depends on which compuetr is turned on first).

My question is how to configure printer sharing? If I define the range of 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2 (which I called "Home") as "Trusted" don't I "ruin" anything? Notice that the <Network card> is defined as "Internet" - don't I actually cancel the protection when I give 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2 ("Home") a "Trusted" permission?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Printer sharing on PCs that are connected to the internet via a wireless router

Quote Originally Posted by gad View Post
    " don't I "ruin" anything?
    No, thats fine. Set it as trusted. This way you will share resources within your LAN. You are perfectly protected, the IP 10.0.0.X is only internal and cannot be reached from the outside. In fact, your actual IP is another one.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gad Guest

Default Re: Printer sharing on PCs that are connected to the internet via a wireless router

Thanks a lot for your answer! I understand that 10.0.0.X is an internal address that is allocated by the router, what confused me was the fact that "<Network card> 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0 Adapter Subnet" was automatically configured as "Internet" so I was afraid that by defining 10.0.0.X as "Trusted" I would cancel the "Internet" definition for the "network card", but following your answer I'll keep defining 10.0.0.x as "Trusted".

You can easily check with scanning services. Like https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    The IP that will be scanned is different from your internal IP. Your internal IP cannot be reached from outside your LAN.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information