Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let this program do ANYTHING

drmcl Guest

Default Let this program do ANYTHING

I have a progarm that runs as a windows service, nassvce.exe. It roll in life is to keep a networked appliance (a NAS drive) switched on (it has a power down/ Wake On LAN ability) Now no matter what I try to tell ZoneAlarm what to do witrh this program, it does not work. I ahe made it supperuser, I have put the NAS IP Address in the trusted zone but nothing works - I cannot even find out any logging to say why it has prevented the service freom doing ots job. Needless to say, seconds after disabling Zonalarm the NAS drive springs to life. I think it may be some sort of ping routine that the service does so is there a setting to allow pings thru in thye trusted zone (assuming I cannot get a 'pleas let nassvce.exe do ANYTHING it wants setting in the firewall)

Question Re: Let this program do ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by drmcl View Post
    I have a progarm that runs as a windows service, nassvce.exe. It roll in life is to keep a networked appliance (a NAS drive) switched on (it has a power down/ Wake On LAN ability) Now no matter what I try to tell ZoneAlarm what to do witrh this program, it does not work. I ahe made it supperuser, I have put the NAS IP Address in the trusted zone but nothing works - I cannot even find out any logging to say why it has prevented the service freom doing ots job. Needless to say, seconds after disabling Zonalarm the NAS drive springs to life. I think it may be some sort of ping routine that the service does so is there a setting to allow pings thru in thye trusted zone (assuming I cannot get a 'pleas let nassvce.exe do ANYTHING it wants setting in the firewall)

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

drmcl Guest

Default Re: Let this program do ANYTHING

Zonealarm Security Suite 9.1.008.000
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz
    Dell Laptop+No other security installed

The problem program, nassvc.exe is a power management executable supplied by Buffalo to keep alive the connection to a Linkstation 1TB NAS drive. The software that supplies the UI to the drive, NasNavigator, works fine (connects with ZoneAlarm ON) but the unit will power down if not used within 2 minutes if it does not get a message every 30 seconds from its windows service - and no matter what settings I have tried to put on the program in ZA, it will not let this .exe communicate with the NAS unit. Works fine with ZA off.

garywa Guest

In addition to setting permissions for nassvc.exe in the Programs section, have you added the Buffalo's IP address in the Firewall --> Zones section and given it Trusted status?

I found this old topic which discusses some firewall settings and in the posting dated March 22, 2008, specifically mentions ZoneAlarm. Other posts in the topic mention different port forwarding and modified installation instructions.

I'm not sure if this is close enough to your setup, but thought I would pass along the info for you to possibly consider.

http://www.slashgear.com/buffalo-lin...eview-0610116/

drmcl Guest

The IP address of the NAs drive itself is already in the trusted zone and indeed normal operation of the drive is fine -i.e. you can browse to it, set up network share, stream music etc from it -but that is all inder the control of the Nas GUI software, NasNavigator - it is the nassvc.exe power management program that zonealarm will not allow to talk to the unit no matter what seetings i try to give this program it is not being allowed to work because something in zonealarm is preventing it from communicating effectively with the nas drive.

garywa Guest

I read yesterday where you also posted your problem in the Buffalo forum. Sorry I can't be of any more help. I've never had a NAS drive myself, so that was my one and only shot-in-the-dark suggestion.

I would recommend that you contact ZA tech support when they open on Monday. The live chat line is open Mon-Fri, 7am-5:30pm PST. Here is their link:

https://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc...al-support.htm

Otherwise, since this is a user forum, you may have to wait quite some time in hopes that another user has set up a similar NAS.

drmcl Guest

Thumbs up Re: Let this program do ANYTHING

Thanks for that. I've just about fixed this myself using a piece of freeware that issues the wake on lan command and takes the mac code and ip address of the nas unit as parameters - and will indeed wake it up. For now I've just put the call in a batch file and call it as a scheduled task every minute which happily keeps the NAS switched on. Tonight i'll wrap the call to the batch file in a windows service and then see how zonealarm gets on with that - which should be fun as i've never tried to make ZA work with one of my own routines before.

pcolinjp Guest

Hello there,

It seems I am facing the same problem : my Buffalo NAS LS-WXLA16 (2TB) does not wake-up on LAN when ZA Exterm Security 2010 (version 9.1.507). My PC is a QuadCore with Windows 7 Ultimate.

As soon as I shut down ZA, the NAS starts !

I have an other older PC with an Intel P4 cpu, and the same Windows 7 ultimate. On that old PC, I have ** snip ** another firewall and the NAS wake-up just fine...

I have entered in ZA the IP address of the NAS to no avail.

Since that last post, have there been any further discoveries on that NSA wake-up issue ?

Regards
    Pierre, Yokohama
    Last edited by fax; May 23rd, 2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: indirect advert - against forum rules

I don't have Buffalo NAS or anything like it, and I'm using ZA pro; but just a thought: has anyone with this problem tried setting nassvcs.exe to 'no enforcement? That means it is not monitored by ZA and should be able to do whatever it wants.
    In ZA pro, at least, Program control, programs, click on Trust level for the file and select '-- no enforcement'

pcolinjp Guest

Talking Re: Let this program do ANYTHING

Well, I tried that but no improvement...

There must be somewhere in ZA an option I have to check or uncheck to get nassvs to wake up my NAS !

Am I the only one with ZA on Windows 7 and a Buffalo NAS attached ? Or does anybody around has a similar setup (Win 7 + ZA + Buffalo NAS) and can wake the NAS on LAN ?
    Last edited by pcolinjp; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information