Thread: Uninstallation Browser Problems

nramey Guest

Red face Uninstallation Browser Problems

Dear People!

I am cleaning up a friends computer (eMachine/Windows XP SP2), Zone Alarm had expired so I uninstalled it using the Unistall Program app from the Zone Alarm Start Menu program. Ever since then both Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 have been unable to access the internet. I then went through registry and deleted several RegKeys along with floating Program Files.

Any ideas how I can get my internet connection back????
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 1st, 2010 at 05:36 AM.

Default Re: Uninstallation Browser Problems

Hi!
    if it is a ZA problem it should be enough to reinstall latest ZA and remove again via the standard control panel --> "add/remove" programs

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Uninstallation Browser Problems

Quote Originally Posted by nramey View Post
    Dear People!

I am cleaning up a friends computer (eMachine/Windows XP SP2), Zone Alarm had expired so I uninstalled it using the Unistall Program app from the Zone Alarm Start Menu program. Ever since then both Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 have been unable to access the internet. I then went through registry and deleted several RegKeys along with floating Program Files.

Any ideas how I can get my internet connection back????

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

It sounds like you tried to Uninstall Zone Alarm while it was Still running and actively protecting the Computer..?

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

1.) What Type of Zone Alarm (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme), and Version Number, (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1)

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

2.) the First thing Hackers try to do when they Infect a computer is Shut down or Uninstall any Firewall.. so Zone Alarm is designed to Hang on Tight while it is running to Protect the Computer..

3.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

4.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

5.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

6.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 2nd, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information