Thread: Please Help

GeorgeKillory Guest

Default Please Help

Hi there,

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I've looked at many different forums, blogs, etc to try to diagnose the issue, but nothing seemed to work. I've been a ZoneAlarm (Free) user for many years, and I am now pretty sure this firewall is the culprit to the months of problems I've been experiencing.

On my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955, running Vista Home Basic SP2, 32-bit), I can't seem to access any website via Firefox or IE. (Sidenote: I have a Mac on the same network, and I have no problems connecting to the Internet on it.) It started around 12/13/09 when I couldn't access https sites. So, I did multiple full system scans (using Avast, Windows Defender, and Ad-Aware), but found no viruses or spyware.

Installed the latest ZA (9.1) in December hoping it'd resolve the issue, but all Internet access was blocked. So, I completely uninstalled (not knowing the proper way, I just did it thru the Add/Remove Programs, then used the manual "Safe Mode" method found on ZA tech support). I don't remember what I did, but I successfully restored Internet access on my laptop, albeit with minimal access...via Firefox only. I figured that was all I really needed at the time, even though I could not access secure sites and the auto update for the browser didn't work ("connection refused"). Also, Avast was still updating regularly, so I didn't mind the other drawbacks. Using Windows Firewall was alright with me.

Last week, I decided to manually download and install these updates: Avast 5.0.418 and Firefox 3.6. As soon as I did this, Firefox was unable to access the Internet...everytime I opened the browser, I'd get the "Connection to the server was reset" error message. However, my laptop was still actively connected to the Internet because I could still access the iTunes music store without any problems, and Windows Update was still checking for updates. Just (as far as I know) Firefox, IE, and any security software definition updates were blocked.

Since then, I've tried System Restore to go back to prior to installing the Avast and Firefox updates...nothing. I also performed the safe mode removing of program files, system32, temp directory, registry, etc again to see if any remnants of ZA remained...still unable to access the Internet. I even went back to uninstall Windows updates since 12/13/09, one-by-one to see...same result. And lastly, in desparation, I tried to do the steps outlined by GeorgeV in this thread: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73303 to no avail.

Is it possible that there are still remnants of ZoneAlarm blocking the browsers from accessing websites, and security software from updating? Call me crazy, but I think even after uninstalling, ZA is running in the background by blocking any new programs (i.e., VideoSlurp) or changes to programs (i.e., Firefox, IE), while allowing access to programs that I've already granted access to pre-uninstall (i.e., Avast before the upgrade, iTunes).

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Smile Re: Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeKillory View Post
    Hi there,

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I've looked at many different forums, blogs, etc to try to diagnose the issue, but nothing seemed to work. I've been a ZoneAlarm (Free) user for many years, and I am now pretty sure this firewall is the culprit to the months of problems I've been experiencing.

On my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955, running Vista Home Basic SP2, 32-bit), I can't seem to access any website via Firefox or IE. (Sidenote: I have a Mac on the same network, and I have no problems connecting to the Internet on it.) It started around 12/13/09 when I couldn't access https sites. So, I did multiple full system scans (using Avast, Windows Defender, and Ad-Aware), but found no viruses or spyware.

Installed the latest ZA (9.1) in December hoping it'd resolve the issue, but all Internet access was blocked. So, I completely uninstalled (not knowing the proper way, I just did it thru the Add/Remove Programs, then used the manual "Safe Mode" method found on ZA tech support). I don't remember what I did, but I successfully restored Internet access on my laptop, albeit with minimal access...via Firefox only. I figured that was all I really needed at the time, even though I could not access secure sites and the auto update for the browser didn't work ("connection refused"). Also, Avast was still updating regularly, so I didn't mind the other drawbacks. Using Windows Firewall was alright with me.

(~Snip~ Reduced for Breivity)

And lastly, in desparation, I tried to do the steps outlined by GeorgeV in this thread: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73303 to no avail.

Is it possible that there are still remnants of ZoneAlarm blocking the browsers from accessing websites, and security software from updating? Call me crazy, but I think even after uninstalling, ZA is running in the background by blocking any new programs (i.e., VideoSlurp) or changes to programs (i.e., Firefox, IE), while allowing access to programs that I've already granted access to pre-uninstall (i.e., Avast before the upgrade, iTunes).

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is my two cents worth in hopes it may be of some help to you..

It has been 5 years or so since I last ran the Free Basic version of Zone Alarm, which does not have many of the Features or configuration of the Paid versions, but here goes..

1.) Thank you for your Long detailed post..

2.) based on what I have read, I think your problem access with some Web-sites may be simular to the problem that Guru Fax and myself tried to resolved for User "Shirl"
    in this Thrend Below:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73304

3.) please check your "HOST" file and see if those Web-sites are listed and being blocked? instructions on what to do with the Host file are explained in the above Forum Link..

4.) if the above does not work, we can try Plan-B..

Please Post back here with your Progress Report
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 4th, 2010 at 04:57 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

GeorgeKillory Guest

Default Re: Please Help

GeorgeV,

Thank you for your reply.

I will try what you have suggested on the laptop later tonight, and will post a progress report ASAP.

Thanks again.

Your Welcome..

please post back with your progress report..

GeorgeKillory Guest

Hi GeorgeV,

I checked the hosts file last night on the problem laptop. Aside from the comments, the only items present are "localhost"s, one of which is the loopback address:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeKillory View Post
    Hi GeorgeV,

I checked the hosts file last night on the problem laptop. Aside from the comments, the only items present are "localhost"s, one of which is the loopback address:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    Thank you for your Feedback..

I sorry I was not able to Help you..

Your Host file looks OK..

Maybe another Forum User will provide some Feedback with their Experience using ZAFree on a Toshiba laptop with Vista Basic..

Normally I would Refer you to ZA Tech Support, but that Service is not FREE to users of the FREE version..

My personal Observasions:

1.) IMHO, Vista Home Basic ( Not Vista Home Premium ), was a very Limited Minimal Windows Operating System, released when Vista was first made available.. and not available in Windows 7 because Home Premium has more features..

2.) I recall reading other Post by users with Toshiba Laptops, that resolved problems with ZoneAlarm by changing settings or removing some proprietery Drivers installed for Toshiba computers?

You can do a SEARCH (Top Right options at top of forum..)
    Search for : Toshiba

3.) other Security Software (AV/AS) installed may have Features or settings that is Conflicting with Zone Alarm?

The Search Options, Search for Post about : Name of AV or AS..

4.) finally, Your could Un-install ZAFree, and Un-install your other AV/AS programs and Install a 15-Day Free Trial of one of the Paid versions of Zone Alarm and see if they work better for you..

Durring the 15 day Trial period, you would have Free access to ZA Tech Support..

When Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

Let us know how you progress..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 5th, 2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

GeorgeKillory Guest

Thank you for your time and help, GeorgeV.

I will try out what you have suggested. If anything comes up, I'll post back with details.

Thread Information