Thread: Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

chubev Guest

Exclamation Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

I've been infected by something that was not cleaned out using the excellent post from Guru on September 7, 2009. The Ultra Deep Scan found 7 viruses, including 3 called Hoax, two of which were Win32 and the third Win16. I delected all seven, but the desktop is still running slowly. Firefox is almost totally disabled. Using IE or Safari browsers, I can't download MBAM even if I give it another name and I can't run the SUPERAntiSpyware search.

One notable feature is that the ZoneAlarm Security Suite (version 9) window has arrays of the yellow caution sign outlining the window and several places on the home tab. Has anyone seen this before? Is this something new directed at ZoneAlarm? I haven't seen any reference to it yet.

Thanks

Smile Re: Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by chubev View Post
    I've been infected by something that was not cleaned out using the excellent post from Guru on September 7, 2009. The Ultra Deep Scan found 7 viruses, including 3 called Hoax, two of which were Win32 and the third Win16. I delected all seven, but the desktop is still running slowly. Firefox is almost totally disabled. Using IE or Safari browsers, I can't download MBAM even if I give it another name and I can't run the SUPERAntiSpyware search.

One notable feature is that the ZoneAlarm Security Suite (version 9) window has arrays of the yellow caution sign outlining the window and several places on the home tab. Has anyone seen this before? Is this something new directed at ZoneAlarm? I haven't seen any reference to it yet.

Thanks
    Welcome back to the Zone Alarm User Forum.

What Version of ZASS 9? 9.0.114.000 or the Latest ZASS 9.1.008.000?

This sounds like your Security Suite has been Corrupted?

Or maybe some other Security program is Blocking or Conflicting with Zone Alarm?

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, some Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

=======================

Try this First to Repair the ZA Database in case it was Corrupted..

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Please Post back here with your Progress Report
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 5th, 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chubev Guest

Default Re: Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

I'm using ZASS version 9.1.008.000. I don't have any other anti-virus installed. I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I followed the reset process. Nothing has changed: the warninig triangles are still along the top and left side of the ZASS home windo and 4 rows along the center. The ones along the top and left side remain when going through the other options.

Thanks.

Smile Re: Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by chubev View Post
    I'm using ZASS version 9.1.008.000. I don't have any other anti-virus installed. I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I followed the reset process. Nothing has changed: the warninig triangles are still along the top and left side of the ZASS home windo and 4 rows along the center. The ones along the top and left side remain when going through the other options.

Thanks.
    Next Step is to Contact Tech Support Live Chat Free of Charge with valid License Key (click Link in my Signatuure)..

When Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

Please Post back here with your Progress Report so that Users of this Forum with a simular problem may benifit from the solution to your problem..
    ------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chubev Guest

Default Re: Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

ZoneAlarm Live Chat (Adam) recommended 8 steps. I followed them all. The "Temp" directory had more than 35,000 files (probably thanks to malware) and they were cleared out (Step 3). The "Prefetch" folder was also full, and it was emptied (Step 4). The Ultra Deep ZA scan detected 8 problems, including 3 "Hoax" (2 in Win32 and one in Win16); all were deleted (Step 5). The Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool took 2 hours to scan, and found nothing (Step 6). Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware detected 8 problems in about 30 minutes (including 6 called Trojan.BHO, and 1 Trojan.Agent) and they were quarantined or deleted (Step 7 - not numbered). Finally SUPERAntiSpyware detected another 180 problems, and they were all corrected (Step 8 - not numbered). Everything is now working again, just as it was two days ago before the infection. THANKS!

Adam: Please do the following to help remove this:
    Adam: 1.) Carefully Look at the Add/Remove programs list on the Windows Control Panel for suspicious programs. Many spyware/virus threats actually install into your system like a program. Many appear to be utilities that you may think are helpful but in reality aren't.
    Adam: Also look for add-on toolbars on this list. While toolbars like those provided by Google, MSN, Yahoo and other are great utilities, there are many more that aren't and if in doubt check it out to see if ones you have are parasitic.
    Adam: Another common exploit are the Search helpers, WinTools, Gator products, IE Helper, Comet Cursor and many others just to name a very few. Peer-to-Peer (P2P) programs are another common source for these and even the ones that don't come with spyware themselves are a security risk that may lead to your system being infected or to spread infections like these. Remove all suspicious programs, if you are wrong, you may always re-install them later.
    Adam: 2.) Enable hidden files and folders:
    Adam: - Click Start -> My Computer
    Adam: - Click Tools -> Folder Options
    Adam: - Click the View tab and place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    Adam: - Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" and choose Yes to the warning
    Adam: - Choose OK and close My Computer
    Adam: 3.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.
    Adam: - Go to Start -> Run
    Adam: - Type %temp% and click OK
    Adam: - Select all of these files and delete them
    Adam: 4.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.
    Adam: - Go to Start -> Run
    Adam: - Type Prefetch and click OK
    Adam: - Select all of these files and delete them
    Adam: 5.) Run a deep inspection scan with ZoneAlarm:
    Adam: - Open ZoneAlarm
    Adam: - Click Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware on the left
    Adam: - Click Main
    Adam: - Click the Advanced Options button
    Adam: - Click Scan Modes under Virus Management
    Adam: - Change the Scan Mode to Ultra Deep Scan click OK
    Adam: - Click the Scan Now button and let the scan run
    Adam: - Once the Ultra Deep Scan completes, do a Rootkit Scan by changing the Scan Mode to Rootkit Scan
    Adam: 6.) Run the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool:
    Adam: - Click Start -> Run
    Adam: - Type MRT
    Adam: - Click Ok
    Adam: - Follow the on-screen instructions to run a scan
    Adam: You may also want to download and install the following free third party programs and scan the system with them:
    Adam: - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
    Adam: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...mbam-setup.exe
    Adam: - Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Adam: - SUPERAntiSpyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Adam: NOTE - Links to sites other than ZoneAlarm.com are provided for the
    Adam: convenience of our users. ZoneAlarm does not provide, and is not
    Adam: responsible for, the content users may find on such sites.
    Adam: I recommend using the print or email button at the top of your chat window to save the chat session
    Adam: With the third party software I would suggest downloading it on the computer that works and transferring the files via USB or CD.

Default [Resolved] Yellow Warning Triangles w/Exclamation

Your Welcome..

Thank you for that Excelent feedback..

I'll close this thrend now..

If you have another problem or need further help,

Please start a new Thrend..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 6th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information