Thread: Applications do not ask for permission to access internet

ohanna Guest

Default Applications do not ask for permission to access internet

Hi,

I used to get a ZA popup ("xx is trying to access the internet) whenever I open firefox or check for update on AVG, on this popup I can either select "accept" or not.

Since yesterday I've noticed that if I already have a firefox browser open, and I try to open a new Firefox browser (not a new tab), then I do not see this popup. A similar behavior is observed when I check for update on my AVG, except that no popup is raised even the first time I open AVG after a system reboot. I checked the ZA logs and don't see any of these applications requesting access to the internet either. In both scenarios I see the ZA system tray icon showing some traffic.

I am using Windows Vista SP2, ZA 8.0.298. neither firefox nor AVG has been updated during the past couple of days.

Any idea why? Thanks a lot!

Smile Re: Applications do not ask for permission to access internet

Quote Originally Posted by ohanna View Post
    Hi,

I used to get a ZA popup ("xx is trying to access the internet) whenever I open firefox or check for update on AVG, on this popup I can either select "accept" or not.

Since yesterday I've noticed that if I already have a firefox browser open, and I try to open a new Firefox browser (not a new tab), then I do not see this popup. A similar behavior is observed when I check for update on my AVG, except that no popup is raised even the first time I open AVG after a system reboot. I checked the ZA logs and don't see any of these applications requesting access to the internet either. In both scenarios I see the ZA system tray icon showing some traffic.

I am using Windows Vista SP2, ZA 8.0.298. neither firefox nor AVG has been updated during the past couple of days.

Any idea why? Thanks a lot!
    I sounds like maybe your ZA Database may be corrupted..

A.) I recomend Keeping both Windows and Zone Alarm Fully Updated..
    You version of Zone alarm is Very old and no more Updated for that version.. The Current supported version is v9.1.008.000 for the paid version.. and 9,1.007.002 for the Free Basic version.

B.) A security tool is your first line of defense. Running an old version is like running no security.

If you are not able to update or do not like to update then it is better that you move to another up-to-date product.

The simplest procedure is to upgrade Zaone Alarm :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZAFREE http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    ZAP http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html
    ZAAV http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ZAXS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zaxs/releaseHistory.html

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 10th, 2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ohanna Guest

Default Re: Applications do not ask for permission to access internet

Thanks a lot for the instructions GerogeV.

I am surprised that my ZA is outdated, because it used to update itself automatically!

I will install the new version tonight. Any idea whether this new version of ZA is compatible with AVG? The old version wasn't, so I had to uninstall AVG before installing ZA.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the instructions GerogeV.

I am surprised that my ZA is outdated, because it used to update itself automatically!

I will install the new version tonight. Any idea whether this new version of ZA is compatible with AVG? The old version wasn't, so I had to uninstall AVG before installing ZA.

Thanks.
    No you only said you had ZA 8.0.298? What Type of Zone Alarm?

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

=============

The old Paid version of ZA AV/ZASS or ZAES 8.0 used an old AV and AS engine that downloaded seperate Anti-Virus Updates and Anti-Spiware Updates.. The New ZA 9.1 version no longer downlads Sperate Update Definintions.,.

New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine: Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan
    More advanced scan options- riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
    Additional on-access scan controls
    On-access scanning now detects spyware
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 10th, 2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

ohanna Guest

That's right, I have ZA free version 8.0.298 (Windows Vista SP2). I just thought that it would self update like it used to, but never mind.

Any idea if ZA version 9 is compatible with AVG 9?

Thanks.

Smile Re: Applications do not ask for permission to access internet

That's right, I have ZA free version 8.0.298 (Windows Vista SP2). I just thought that it would self update like it used to, but never mind.

Any idea if ZA version 9 is compatible with AVG 9?

Thanks.
    ZA Free Basic 9.1.007.002 (I don't think the Auto Update notice has been turned on for the Free version in the last 6 moths?

ZAFREE http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

There has been some Discusion on this forum about AVG 9, you might use the Forum "SEARCH" option to find them, search for Avg 9? or ZA Free and AVG?
    GeorgeV

ohanna Guest

Thank you!

ohanna Guest

Hi GeorgeV,

I followed your instructions above to uninstall (with the removal tool) ZA 8.0.298, and install the ZA 9.1.007.002. Now I am getting a ZA message saying that AVG is trying to access the internet when I check for updates, which is good. But, I am still getting the same behavior for firefox (if I already have a firefox browser open, and I try to open a new Firefox browser, no popup is observed). I only get the warning "firefox is trying to access the internet" if I open a firefox browser when none is already open.

Does it sound right?

BTW, I think it would be helpful if the removal tool can show some kind of notice to let the user know that the uninstallation has completed. I only got a message box asking me to restart my PC. After my PC restarted I needed to confirm with administrative rights that I wanted the cleanup tool to run, then I waited for another 20 minutes and nothing happened. I opened "Programs and Features" from the Control panel and saw that ZA was no longer on the list so I assumed that the uninstallation had finished.

Thanks again.

Thread Information