Thread: Junk mail blocking not working after moving Outlook Express Message File

Hybrid View

bh Guest

Default Junk mail blocking not working after moving Outlook Express Message File

When I moved my Outlook Express Message Store file to a different location from the default XP location, ZA Junk and Phising blocking no longer works.
    At startup the ZA scan box pops up but shows a scan count of zero and then closes down even when new mail is in the inbox. When new mail is blocked it is not put into the blocked list. When I 'report' the new mail, it is put into the ZA blocked folder but is not sent 'reported.
    Moving my OE6 Message Store back to it original XP default location restores the email full blocking functions. I want my message store in another location for simplified backup purposes and OE allows me to do this.
    Anyone know a way around this or is a ZA fix possibly required ?

Smile Re: Junk mail blocking not working after moving Outlook Express Message File

Quote Originally Posted by bh View Post
    When I moved my Outlook Express Message Store file to a different location from the default XP location, ZA Junk and Phising blocking no longer works.
    At startup the ZA scan box pops up but shows a scan count of zero and then closes down even when new mail is in the inbox. When new mail is blocked it is not put into the blocked list. When I 'report' the new mail, it is put into the ZA blocked folder but is not sent 'reported.
    Moving my OE6 Message Store back to it original XP default location restores the email full blocking functions. I want my message store in another location for simplified backup purposes and OE allows me to do this.
    Anyone know a way around this or is a ZA fix possibly required ?
    I'm sorry, but I think that function is designed to use the Default location..

I don't think the location is configurable?

If you have a valid ZA License key, you can contact Tech Support Live chat directly..

click the link in my signature..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

Default Re: Junk mail blocking not working after moving Outlook Express Message File

I use OE and just checked in the options. There is an option to move the mail store location although I've never had a reason to move the mail store. My mail store is located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{EFFFE6EB-4546-4BED-BC6D-3F68B14E43C4}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

But this long pathname has never been a problem for me and I backup my OE email folders & files all the time.

The identity portion of the pathname {EFFFE6EB-4546-4BED-BC6D-3F68B14E43C4} is variable and is different on each of my PCs.

Thinking about it, and this is just a guess on my part, I'll bet that ZA checks for the mail store location only upon installation. If the mail store is later moved, ZA doesn't know it.

You might try resetting ZA with the mail store in its new location. This may cause ZA to re-read OE's options and find the new location of the mail store. If that doesn't work, you may have to put the mail store back to its original location, uninstall ZA, move the OE mail store and then re-install ZA.

If you want to try resetting the ZA database, here are the steps:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    Last edited by garywa; March 11th, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added steps to reset ZA

Thread Information