Thread: Firewall Blocks Time Synchronization and ZA

garync Guest

Default Firewall Blocks Time Synchronization and ZA

I have two XP SP3 PCs on home network, both with ZA Extreme Security. One consistently gets firewall blocked alerts when trying to do time synchronization with time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. XP's help says that a non-Windows firewall may be blocking the operation.

Sure enough, ZA's firewall alert list shows ZA blocked the svchost.exe from doing an outgoing UDP protocol operation to 192.43.244.18:123, which is time.nist.gov.

What's more, ZA blocked three outgoing TCP (flags:S) operations to 209.87.211.136:80, which is ZoneAlarm!

All firewall settings on both PCs seem to be identical, so why does one work and the other fail? I could set up Expert rules on the failing PC to allow these operations, but something isn't working right. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, GaryNC

Default Re: Firewall Blocks Time Synchronization and ZA

Hi!
    This was posted several times in the past, delay in answering of the time server cause the ZA drop. Choose a server with good response and you will have no problems. For example, set it to sync with "time-a.nist.gov".

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by garync View Post
    I have two XP SP3 PCs on home network, both with ZA Extreme Security. One consistently gets firewall blocked alerts when trying to do time synchronization with time.windows.com or time.nist.gov. XP's help says that a non-Windows firewall may be blocking the operation.

Sure enough, ZA's firewall alert list shows ZA blocked the svchost.exe from doing an outgoing UDP protocol operation to 192.43.244.18:123, which is time.nist.gov.

What's more, ZA blocked three outgoing TCP (flags:S) operations to 209.87.211.136:80, which is ZoneAlarm!

All firewall settings on both PCs seem to be identical, so why does one work and the other fail? I could set up Expert rules on the failing PC to allow these operations, but something isn't working right. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, GaryNC

You could use the Forum "SEARCH" function (Time+Synchronization) for several other Thrends that have Resolved the issue for other Users..

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...ynchronization
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

garync Guest

Thanks for the quick responses but sorry, changing to time-a.nist.gov didn't fix it.

I double-click the clock to open the Date and Time Properties window, select the Internet Time tab, and click Update Now.

The delay before a success or fail message on either system is considerable - as much as 17 seconds for both. But one system fails every time and the other works every time, and it doesn't matter which of the three time servers I select.

I'll search other threads as suggested, but I suspect something else is the bug here.
    GaryNC

Quote Originally Posted by garync View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses but sorry, changing to time-a.nist.gov didn't fix it.
    Then you should try to reset to default the settings of ZA on the problematic system.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information