Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

echo9 Guest

Post ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

Hello everybody,
    Today I got myself Zone Alarm Firewall Pro for my laptop.
    (Just for info, previously I was a user of Comodo FREE Firewall)

When I installed ZA on my Windows 7 ultimate installation, I was confused.

My ZA firewall isn't showing the intrusion counts. I mean ..oh' c'mon its usually good that my firewall isn't reporting such a thing but I found it really killing my mind as in the case of my previous firewall I got to see many intrusion attempts.

I have KAV 2010 installed.

While installing ZA, KAV's pro active defense did popped up a red colored window saying "hidden driver being installed" or something (i guess thats the NDIS filter/firewall driver being installed) ?
    But then i aborted the installation and re-installed ZA by disabling KAV's pro-active feature.

--
    I got a query regarding this also ^ that does ZA's firewall install any NDIS filter/driver which can be seen in my adapter connection properties like in the case of Comodo firewall or other elements/services? because I din't found any similar thing in the list!
    Does ZA has got a software or library based filter/driver?

Is my installation not complete?

Please help me out.

And yes I have also tried ZA firewall free edition but still got no results

Post Re: ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154 . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, some Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

Please Post back here with your Progress Report
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

Welcome to the forum echo9 -You will also not see intrusion attempts if you are behind a router with a built in hardware firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by echo9 View Post
    Hello everybody,
    Today I got myself Zone Alarm Firewall Pro for my laptop.
    (Just for info, previously I was a user of Comodo FREE Firewall)

When I installed ZA on my Windows 7 ultimate installation, I was confused.

My ZA firewall isn't showing the intrusion counts. I mean ..oh' c'mon its usually good that my firewall isn't reporting such a thing but I found it really killing my mind as in the case of my previous firewall I got to see many intrusion attempts.

I have KAV 2010 installed.

While installing ZA, KAV's pro active defense did popped up a red colored window saying "hidden driver being installed" or something (i guess thats the NDIS filter/firewall driver being installed) ?
    But then i aborted the installation and re-installed ZA by disabling KAV's pro-active feature.

--
    I got a query regarding this also ^ that does ZA's firewall install any NDIS filter/driver which can be seen in my adapter connection properties like in the case of Comodo firewall or other elements/services? because I din't found any similar thing in the list!
    Does ZA has got a software or library based filter/driver?

Is my installation not complete?

Please help me out.

And yes I have also tried ZA firewall free edition but still got no results

echo9 Guest

umm..yea uninstallation of previous firewall (comodo v.4) was ok
    no problem in that phase

2'ndly: I am on a university network and here usually u know literally everybody freaks up multiple network scans, pentesting etc things go on like anything thats why I was telling about that the intrusion count should've been there.

also to be noted i have selected "high" security in my internet zone settings

I am using comodo's firewall:

ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000

echo9 Guest

one more thing..
    My windows firewall was disabled when I installed ZA.

So i re-enabled it and unchecked the "disable Windows firewall" option.

..thats because when I disable my windows firewall my file sharing and other network sharing features they get enabled automatically and I doubt if they are being protected by ZA.

I am able to see other computer and devices in the "network neighborhood".

Previously when with windows firewall; had disabled sharing options, network discovery etc. and i felt safe with it

2> I am a faithful linux user have been using firestarter as a firewall sol in my ubuntu installation.

And trust me in that the intrusion list goes way beyond the total no. of contact address in my cellphone

well..?

--

@ GeorgeV

the link you told me see for proper un-installation of previous firewall, its giving me a 404 error (see below).

Not Found
    The requested URL /zonelabs/board/message was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Last edited by echo9; March 17th, 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added: link provided giving 404 error :(

garywa Guest

So, do I understand you correctly that you are running the Windows Firewall and ZA Pro at the same time? If so, that will cause conflicts between the two.

I don't use ZA Pro, but check under the Firewall option settings for the Trusted Zone Security slider. By default, it is probably set to Medium, which lets you share printers and other resources. You can move the slider up to High which will prevent anyone on the local network from connecting to you. Then turn off the Windows Firewall. Having the Windows Firewall turned on may also explain your original question about seeing no intrusion attempts.
    Last edited by garywa; March 17th, 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added additional Trusted Zone info

echo9 Guest

Thumbs down Re: ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

am not able to even reset my alert counters..

anybody if having any suggestions please you can also PM me
    would be very happy to hear from MODs..

Smile Re: ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

Quote Originally Posted by echo9 View Post
    am not able to even reset my alert counters..

anybody if having any suggestions please you can also PM me
    would be very happy to hear from MODs..

Thats very Simple to fix..

Click on Overview, Main page..

Click on the left side of the Green panel..

A popup windows will display and on the lower left side click "Reset Counter", then Click Close..

If you have more than one Green panel on the Overview Main page, do the same for each Green panel..

Have a nice day..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

echo9 Guest

sorry..

but still I am not able to reset them.

I was actually trying to check that is my ZA working properly or not, but it isn't.

i followed the way you told me, but

1st of all > my ZA's old problem > no intrsuion being generated

2'ndly > reset counters function doesn't works

i am having the latest version as i told in my posts.

echo9 Guest

Lightbulb Re: ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro doesn't shows intrusion attempt counts

umm..is ZA firewall pro compatible with my KAV 2010 ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information