Thread: Must have battery in laptop during Hard Drive Encryption install

g20882 Guest

Default Must have battery in laptop during Hard Drive Encryption install

Thanks to Zack at ZoneAlarm Tech Support.

I'd been gnashing teeth for several hours trying to get the ZA Encryption tool to install on my laptop. I would receive a most irritating error message informing that Encryption is for laptops ONLY and would not install on my PC.

I run my laptop on AC power with the battery removed. Zack informed me that the Encryption installer looks to see if the system has a battery to determine whether or not it is a laptop. No battery = PC, no installation.

I could find no mention of this issue in the knowledge base or other forums. I guess it's possible that it isn't mentioned because nobody else has been so foolish. But I also remember a dearth of information about the Turedo Tunneling adapter being disable after installing Zone Alarm. The issue was not that uncommon and the fix for many people was simply to enable ipv6 networking. Again, the fact that I spent hours digging for my solution rather than utilizing the tech support is an issue that I'll have to do some more research into. . .

If anybody else happens upon the battery kerfuffle I hope my share saves you some grief.

4 hours in on my 500GB laptop and I'm 8% encrypted.

System Manufacturer Sony Corporation Model VPCCW21FX Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 Storage Total size of hard disk(s) 457 GB Disk partition (C:) 138 GB Free (457 GB Total)

garywa Guest

Default Re: Must have battery in laptop during Hard Drive Encryption install

Sorry you lost so much time over the battery.

See post # 2 in this topic by Guru fax:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73446

g20882 Guest

Default Re: Must have battery in laptop during Hard Drive Encryption install

yeah, i read fax's post just before seeing your reply! i'm not too sure whether i'm coming or going today. i'm pretty confident that i'm behind the 8 ball, but that's standard procedure over here.
    fax was kind of subtle in that post. i wouldn't have been able to pull the pieces together myself:
    "datalock only runs on laptops. At install it will check for the presence
    of the battery. If there is no battery it will exit."
    that's so cryptic.

i realize now that i don't deserve data lock.
    i do promise not to bother the group when i forget my password.
    i'm going back to lurking. thanks everybody.

Smile Re: Must have battery in laptop during Hard Drive Encryption install

Quote Originally Posted by g20882 View Post
    yeah, i read fax's post just before seeing your reply! i'm not too sure whether i'm coming or going today. i'm pretty confident that i'm behind the 8 ball, but that's standard procedure over here.
    fax was kind of subtle in that post. i wouldn't have been able to pull the pieces together myself:
    "datalock only runs on laptops. At install it will check for the presence
    of the battery. If there is no battery it will exit."
    that's so cryptic.

i realize now that i don't deserve data lock.
    i do promise not to bother the group when i forget my password.
    i'm going back to lurking. thanks everybody.
    Thank you for your Feedback..

This is a User Supported Forum and exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

Your welcome to ask any Zone Alarm related questions that you have here, and hopefully one of the users here may have a Solution that works for you..

Just don't write your Passwords down on a Postem note and display on your Refrigerator or your Front Door..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information