Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IE8 Slow Delay When Opening New Browser Tab (FYI Only)

garywa Guest

Default IE8 Slow Delay When Opening New Browser Tab (FYI Only)

I am posting this as information for fellow ZA users who may experience the same issue. This is not a request for help.

I run WinXp Pro SP3 with all critical updates on a laptop and desktop system. This past Saturday, I upgraded ZAISS on both systems to release 9.1.507.000. On both PCs, I upgraded over the top of the previous version, 9.1.008.000. Both upgrades completed normally. I chose NOT to install the Browser Security ZA Toolbar on either PC.

Within the first few hours of using both PCs however, I noticed both had started having the same minor but irritating problem with IE8. Previously, if I opened a new browser tab in IE8, it would generally open in 2-3 seconds. Since installing this new version, I would say that 40-50% of the time, it will take at least 15 seconds for the new tab to open. There are no error messages. Once opened, the new tab functions normally. The rest of the time it will open in the typical 2-3 seconds. It happens on both PCs and I never had this problem with any previous version of ZAISS. Iíve tried to catch it with Windows Task Manager open to see if there is a Process that hangs up, but so far, Iíve not been able to catch it. I made no other changes to either PC, hardware or software. Other than this little glitch, the new version seems to be working fine on both PCs.

Earlier today I contacted ZA tech support via Live Chat and reported the problem. The tech responded with, "I've actually seen this issue on my test machine here and I've not been able to pinpoint the cause yet either."

The tech suggested I send the error logs in to the development staff and provided me with a complete set of instructions. A short time ago I was able to duplicate the problem, force a dump and submit it all to the developers.

I will post back with any information I receive.

I do not know if this is an issue with other ZA products in this new release or if it shows up under different versions of Windows or with different web browsers.

topshelf Guest

Default Re: IE8 Slow Delay When Opening New Browser Tab (FYI Only)

Please report back ASAP, as exact same thing happened to me. I uninstalled IE8 and all back to normal. All Win XP Pro and ZA info is the same. Was it IE8, or was it
    ZA 9.1.507.000.??

Thank you

garywa Guest

When you say you uninstalled IE8, do you mean you went back to a previous version of IE, like IE7?

In my case, the problem only showed up after upgrading ZAISS to version 9.1.507.000 a week ago. I have been running IE8 for a long time prior to that with no issue. Its not a serious problem, so for the time being, I am just living with the slowness/delay. I have no intention of going back to a previous version of IE or ZAISS, at this time.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.507.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.507.000
    Driver version:9.1.503.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1014906112
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by garywa; March 30th, 2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Added my current ZA version info

topshelf Guest

Yes I went back to IE7. My problem was that I upgraded to both IE8 and ZA Extreme 9.1.507.000 within days of each other, IE8 first, then ZA extreme. As I recall, I noticed the problem after the upgrade of ZA Extreme.

Thanks

New MicroSoft Tuesday IE Update

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB980182)
    Download size: 14.6 MB
    You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
    Update type: Important
    Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=182969
    Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarmģ Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Pkit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post

New MicroSoft Tuesday IE Update

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB980182)

George, your post was very unclear. Are you saying that that update fixes the problem, or causes it? Or were you saying something completely different?

Something different..

garywa Guest

Now that I have had more time using this ZAISS version, I realize there is also a longer than usual delay when opening a new IE8 window as well as a new tab. Sometimes much longer than just opening a new tab. I have seen this on both of my WinXP Pro SP3 PCs. I did not experience this problem in previous releases. I have no other a/v, a/s, malware or firewall programs installed on either PC - just ZAISS.

If I get some time today, I'll try contacting ZA tech support again to see if there is any update from the first time I reported the problem and to let them know about this "new" issue I've experienced.

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1015362016

fatalerror Guest

Hi,

I installed ZAISS 9.1.507.000 over my previous version and have noticed the following (FYI only):

1. Slowdown opening IE8.
    2. Shortcut keys on desktop items take an age to open - faster after redefinition of shortcut.
    3. System stops responding on A/V update (very annoying!).
    4. First time opening of system programs (eg notepad.exe) much slower. Faster after first call.

Cheers...

5. Can add to that constant HDD activity (Debug level set to OFF). Stops when on-access scanning turned OFF.

6. Registration still pending after 4 days installed.

Windows XP Pro SP3 (fully updated)

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1015434944
    Last edited by fatalerror; April 6th, 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Version info.

Interesting... I can't see any of these issues here but I am running windows 7. Must be something limited to XP environments.
    Anyone experiencing this problem should report it as soon as possible to ZA technical support (link in my signature).

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information