I am posting this as information for fellow ZA users who may experience the same issue. This is not a request for help.
I run WinXp Pro SP3 with all critical updates on a laptop and desktop system. This past Saturday, I upgraded ZAISS on both systems to release 9.1.507.000. On both PCs, I upgraded over the top of the previous version, 9.1.008.000. Both upgrades completed normally. I chose NOT to install the Browser Security ZA Toolbar on either PC.
Within the first few hours of using both PCs however, I noticed both had started having the same minor but irritating problem with IE8. Previously, if I opened a new browser tab in IE8, it would generally open in 2-3 seconds. Since installing this new version, I would say that 40-50% of the time, it will take at least 15 seconds for the new tab to open. There are no error messages. Once opened, the new tab functions normally. The rest of the time it will open in the typical 2-3 seconds. It happens on both PCs and I never had this problem with any previous version of ZAISS. Iíve tried to catch it with Windows Task Manager open to see if there is a Process that hangs up, but so far, Iíve not been able to catch it. I made no other changes to either PC, hardware or software. Other than this little glitch, the new version seems to be working fine on both PCs.
Earlier today I contacted ZA tech support via Live Chat and reported the problem. The tech responded with, "I've actually seen this issue on my test machine here and I've not been able to pinpoint the cause yet either."
The tech suggested I send the error logs in to the development staff and provided me with a complete set of instructions. A short time ago I was able to duplicate the problem, force a dump and submit it all to the developers.
I will post back with any information I receive.
I do not know if this is an issue with other ZA products in this new release or if it shows up under different versions of Windows or with different web browsers.