Thread: Cannot drag and drop from Firefox 3.6.3 location bar with ForceField ON (OK if OFF)

kevron Guest

Default Cannot drag and drop from Firefox 3.6.3 location bar with ForceField ON (OK if OFF)

I am using Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3.

1. With ForceField OFF
    2. Uninstalled Firefox and user data. Then deleted C:\Programs\Mozilla Firefox folder
    3. Reinstarlled Firefox without importing anything
    4. I am able to drag and drop locations (shortcuts) from the Firefox location bar OK
    (Closed Firefox)
    5. Turned ON ForceField and cleared the virtualization data
    6. Restarted Firefox and could not drag and drop the location data (had circle with line through it over shortcut)
    7 Trurned Off ForceField and then could drag and drop location shotcuts once again

This problem has only occurred since I up graded ZoneAlarm to the product with ForceField

------------------------------------
    Other information of possible use:

In the Firefox add-ons screen: there is a gray-out
    "Google Toobar for Firefox 2.1.200060807W"
    with all buttons grayed out and a red circle with a white exclamation point over ther puzzle piece.

Default Re: Cannot drag and drop from Firefox 3.6.3 location bar with ForceField ON (OK if OF

Quote Originally Posted by kevron View Post
    I am using Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3.

1. With ForceField OFF
    2. Uninstalled Firefox and user data. Then deleted C:\Programs\Mozilla Firefox folder
    3. Reinstarlled Firefox without importing anything
    4. I am able to drag and drop locations (shortcuts) from the Firefox location bar OK
    (Closed Firefox)
    5. Turned ON ForceField and cleared the virtualization data
    6. Restarted Firefox and could not drag and drop the location data (had circle with line through it over shortcut)
    7 Trurned Off ForceField and then could drag and drop location shotcuts once again

This problem has only occurred since I up graded ZoneAlarm to the product with ForceField

------------------------------------
    Other information of possible use:

In the Firefox add-ons screen: there is a gray-out
    "Google Toobar for Firefox 2.1.200060807W"
    with all buttons grayed out and a red circle with a white exclamation point over ther puzzle piece.

Due to the way Virtualization works.You need to Open Unprotected Browser.Drag and drop the location shortcut to your desktop.Close your browser.Next time you load your location shortcut from the desktop.It will load in a Protected Browser.

As for your gray-out Add-ons.Most likely not compatible.If you click on a grayed out Add-ons, it should say 'Not compatible with Firefox/3.6.3'.

Due to health issues, I don't contribute very much to the Forum like I use to.Sorry if I don't come back to reply.

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.6.3
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.53.49 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.507.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.507.000
    Driver version:9.1.503.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1015359968
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; April 5th, 2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Firefox/3.6.3

kevron Guest

Default Re: Cannot drag and drop from Firefox 3.6.3 location bar with ForceField ON (OK if OF

Thank You Sky Soldier for your response, and I hope your health improves soon.

I found the workaround based on your response, although I did not understand the last sentence of your response.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security has readme file in its program directory, that states the following with regard to Internet Explorer:

----------------------------------------------------------
    Browser security

a. With Browser security on, in Internet Explorer the File > Send > Shortcut to Desktop command will not create a shortcut to a Web site. Workaround: From the ZoneAlarm system tray icon, choose Open unprotected browser and temporarily open the Web site in the unprotected browser window so you can use the Send > Shortcut to Desktop command. "
    ---------------------------------------------------------

This is the exact same issue as with Firefox, except with the Firefox case, the shortcut is dragged from the location toolbar.

Here is how the workaround works in detail:

1. With ForceField ON, open a Firefox browser window.
    2. Right click on the ZoneAlarm icon on the toolbar
    3. Select "Open Unprotected Browser".
    4. Wait for the new browser window to open and position it so that it is not completely hidden behind the original browser window.
    5. When you get to a location using the original browser window that you want to drag to the desktop do the following:
    6. Drag it to any part of the of the unprotected browser window, which will then go to that location.
    7. Drag the location (favicon) from the unprotected window to the desktop.

It appears that you cannot save a shortcut from a ForceField-ON browser window to the desktop without going through a ForceField-OFF browser window as an intermediary.

I welcome any better alternatives.

Thread Information