Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm Upgrade Problems 9.1.507.000

nibor156 Guest

Default Zone Alarm Upgrade Problems 9.1.507.000

Guys, Hi!!

I hope there is someone who cast cast some light on installation issues with the above upgrade for the previous version.

1. My netbook Samsung NC10:- following problems with installing it on my desktop I created a restore point on the NC10 (Windows XP) before trying to upgrade to version 9 - On installation I immediately lost internet connection - I went back to system restore - this would not work and then I discover ALL my restore points have vanished!!!!!!

2. The desktop (XP SP 3) now runs like treacle and once again ALL the restore points have vanished!!!

3. I won't be touching my wife's laptop until I have some solutions!!!!

I have done some research and it does seem ZA has had historical issues with both slowing computers down and some issues with Windows restore points.

I have average computer skills and this one has me foxed!! Has anyone else experienced similiar problems?? Or any suggestions as where to go next??

I am seriously thinking about ditching this (paid for) 3 computer licence version and going somewhere else.

Hope to hear soon.

many thanks

Robin

shyguy Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Upgrade Problems 9.1.507.000

Can't speak to your installation problems -- I've never had any trouble on XP and Vista but I'll take your word for it. I assume that you don't have a lot of apps installed and use your NC10 primarily for Email and browsing the Internet. Those applications are relatively light weight and don't require a lot of machine resources. ZA, Norton and the other well known security software require significantly more.

I believe that NC10 comes with only 1 GB memory (RAM); the installed hard drive spins at 5400 RPM. Adding at least another GB of RAM should help. Upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard drive would also boost performance.

garywa Guest

After reading your topic, I looked at both my WinXP Pro SP3 PCs. As you described, there were no restore points except for one on each PC taken in the 3 PM hour earlier today.

I have no idea why that is happening. I would suggest that we both report this to tech support. The more users who report it, the more likely it is to get addressed.

Here is the link to their Live Chat line: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...al-support.htm

garywa Guest

I just finished my Live Chat with tech support. Here are the highlights:

"We are just starting to see this issue and we are looking into it at this time. For now I would suggest going back to the previous version."

I just may do as he suggested because I am seeing another problem with the A-V/A-S scans. I've been gathering information and will probably start a new topic about it soon.

nibor156 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garywa View Post
    After reading your topic, I looked at both my WinXP Pro SP3 PCs. As you described, there were no restore points except for one on each PC taken in the 3 PM hour earlier today.

I have no idea why that is happening. I would suggest that we both report this to tech support. The more users who report it, the more likely it is to get addressed.

Here is the link to their Live Chat line: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...al-support.htm
    Thank you all for your input - I have just emailed their tech support with both the no restore and slow spped issues and await their reply.

Cheers

Robin

garywa Guest

I posted yesterday that on both my PCs, the only restore point listed was from that current day (04-08-2010), taken in the 3 PM hour. Last night, I powered off both PCs as a test for this.

When I powered up both PCs this morning, neither one showed a restore point for yesterday. They are now both showing a single restore point taken today (04-09-2010) at around 10 AM.

I will continue to monitor.

nibor156 Guest

[QUOTE=garywa;277847]I posted yesterday that on both my PCs, the only restore point listed was from that current day (04-08-2010), taken in the 3 PM hour. Last night, I powered off both PCs as a test for this.

When I powered up both PCs this morning, neither one showed a restore point for yesterday. They are now both showing a single restore point taken today (04-09-2010) at around 10 AM.

Just a quick update on my situation:-

I have removed all traces of ZA on both computers using their removal tool and installed MS Security Essentials - the increase in computer speed is very satisfying!!!!!

I will await the response from Tech Support and monitor this forum.

If I can feel confident about any fix then I may reinstall ZA.

I am currently looking into the loss of the restore points to see if the problem is contiuing on my machines. There does appear to be some solutions available on one of the MS BBS boards.

It has not been a happy two days whilst trying to overcome the issues but many thanks to all who have contributed ideas to help resolve the issues.

garywa Guest

Several hours have passed since my last post so I checked the restore points on both my PCs. The previous restore points on both PCs taken in the 10 AM hour are now gone from the list and new restore points taken in the 3 PM hour is the only one shown on both PCs.

It would appear that when a new restore point is taken, all previous ones are deleted.

As ZA tech support stated in my Live Chat with them, they are just starting to see this issue, so they are aware.

stormsy Guest

I think you can add to me to the list of sufferers of upgrading to version 9.1.507 (for use of a better phrase).

I have continual HDD activity (the light is constantly on - no flickering, just a bright green LED!)

All of my restore points have managed to disappear (except for one that is made 10 hrs ago.) I haven't touched System Restore since the day I reformatted my HDD (and that was 18 months ago) - so its surprising to me to see 18 months worth of restore points to suddenly disappear!

Slow execution of apps (such as Word, Excel, FireFox...)

I'm using;
    Win XP Home Ed (SP3 - up-to-date with MS Updates)
    250 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, 3.4 GHz Processor (Intel, HT Tech)
    FireFox Browser (latest version)
    ZAISS 9.1.507.000 (up-to-date virus definitions.)

~SNIP~

I'm to talk to TechSupport about this - the more people complain about it, the faster they'll investigate the issues; but it is silly for them not monitoring the forum. I can only think of reinstalling 9.1.008.000 until they release another update.

Thanks,
    Stormsy.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 10th, 2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Coments that Violate Terms of Use policy

garywa Guest

Sadly, I am in the process of re-installing 9.1.008.000 on my laptop right now, for all the reasons recently posted.

Next, I will be doing the same on my desktop system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information