Thread: ZA 9.1.507.000 and Yo-Yo HD Free Space

Eastwood Guest

Default ZA 9.1.507.000 and Yo-Yo HD Free Space

I just upgraded to ZA Security Suite but excluded the Browser Security (keeping original settings).

The hard-disk free space dropped from 7GB to 3GB+. After a Disk Cleanup and throwing away all but the latest Windows updates, it crept up to 9GB.

Without any activity, it keep ticking down again.

Earlier ZA spend nearly 4 hours scanning the files without any report. As I type this the free space seem to drop further.

Anyone encounter this before? Your input appreciated.
    KL

Post Re: ZA 9.1.507.000 and Yo-Yo HD Free Space

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
    I just upgraded to ZA Security Suite but excluded the Browser Security (keeping original settings).

The hard-disk free space dropped from 7GB to 3GB+. After a Disk Cleanup and throwing away all but the latest Windows updates, it crept up to 9GB.

Without any activity, it keep ticking down again.

Earlier ZA spend nearly 4 hours scanning the files without any report. As I type this the free space seem to drop further.

Anyone encounter this before? Your input appreciated.
    KL

It sounds like you are trying to run ZA Suite on a Computer with Very minimal Resouces?
    What Version of Windows? How big is the Hard drive? How much Ram? How big is the CPU?

System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite:

.section_module_bgcolor {background-color:#ffffff;}.module_head_color {color:#000066;}
    Microsoft® Windows® 7*:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/im...dows7ready.gif32-bit / 64-bit , 2 GB RAM
    2 GHz or faster processor
    250MB of available hard-disk space

Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 or SP2 Business / Home Premium / Ultimate:
    32-bit / 64-bit, 2 GB RAM
    2 GHz or faster processor
    Microsoft Windows, XP SP2 or SP3 Home / Professional
    32-bit, 1GB RAM
    1 GHz or faster processor
    Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to
    Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Eastwood Guest

Default Re: ZA 9.1.507.000 and Yo-Yo HD Free Space

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    It sounds like you are trying to run ZA Suite on a Computer with Very minimal Resouces?
    What Version of Windows? How big is the Hard drive? How much Ram? How big is the CPU?
    Thanks GeorgeV for your response. It is a nearly 6-year old notebook but have been and is rock-solid.

System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 Service Pack 3
    Notebook Dell Precision M60 Intel Pentium M 735 1.70GHz
    Integrated 2MB On-Die L2 Cache
    1.00 GB of RAM
    60 GB hard-disk 7200rpm
    Nvidia Quadro FX Go1000 128MB video ram
    Notebook screen WUXGA 1920x1200
    Second monitor 21” 1800x1440

I solved the problem by going back to v9.1.008.000, which I will more to say in my reply to ghOst.

Thanks all the same.

Eastwood Guest

Default Re: ZA 9.1.507.000 and Yo-Yo HD Free Space

Quote Originally Posted by gh0st View Post
    Navigate to your 'Windows/Internet Logs' folder & look at the tvDebug.log file. If it is taking up a lot of space follow these steps:

Hold down CTRL+SHIFT and right click on the ZA icon in your taskbar.
    Select 'Set Debug Level' from the options, set it to 'Off' and click 'Ok'.
    Reboot and navigate back to the tvDebug.log file.
    Right click on the file, set it to 'Read Only' and click on 'Apply'.

If the file is already small and/or not growing in size, or the debug level is already set to 'Off', then it's something else causing the problem.
    If it WAS the problem and the file is still taking up a good amount of space after following the above steps - reboot into safe mode, delete the file, reboot normally, then set the file to 'Read Only' again.
    gh0st, thanks for pointing out the 'Internet Log' folder.

It had all the logs files since ZA was first installed in 2007. Among the 1400+ files is tvDebug.Zip which appear to archive tvDebug.log whenever ZA is stopped by the user. The 10 archived files varies in size from 22,600 KB to 27,200 KB. Since the existing 21,345 KB tvDebug.log did not appear to be excessive and/or growing, so I did not follow what you have advised.

What I have noticed is the continuous updating (every couple of sec) and slight file size increase (1 or 2 KB) in tvDebug.log, and a continuous decrease in hard disk free space by 0.01 GB with every other flicker of the status line at the bottom of the Windows Explorer. This occur when ZA is running but not connected to Internet and no other activity except Windows Task Manager.

The only activities were vsmon.exe, System and Windows Explore doing its refresh. A global file search showed nothing of significance. However when the hard disk free space dropped to around 3.3GB, it turned around increasing by approximate 1GB every other flicker. Very, very weird - as the cycle repeat!

Deep scan on Safe mode with networking and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware did not come up with anything.

Solved problem (so far a normal day) by going back to ZA v9.1.008.000.

Thanks again.

Thread Information