Thread: ZA Free - Program Control Feature

puget02 Guest

Default ZA Free - Program Control Feature

I just updated ZoneAlarm Free to version 9.1.007.002 (also running Windows XP Pro, Firefox 3.5, Avast AV). The Program Control feature to choose between "Allow - Block - Ask" is not working the same as in my previous version of ZA. I have Microsoft Internet Explorer selected as Ask (? in all 4 columns) but when I open this program the pop up window that asks to Allow or Deny access does not appear, the program opens as if it is selected to Allow. But, some of the other programs that are selected as Ask have opened this pop up window for permission. For MSIE I have Removed it from Programs but it later reappears without having opened it, when I select Block, that feature does work. Does the (new) Browser Security feature override my personal Program settings? Any suggestions on what I need to do to regain control of what programs I want to ask for permission to access the internet?

garywa Guest

Default Re: ZA Free - Program Control Feature

Quote Originally Posted by puget02 View Post
    I just updated ZoneAlarm Free to version 9.1.007.002 (also running Windows XP Pro, Firefox 3.5, Avast AV). The Program Control feature to choose between "Allow - Block - Ask" is not working the same as in my previous version of ZA. I have Microsoft Internet Explorer selected as Ask (? in all 4 columns) but when I open this program the pop up window that asks to Allow or Deny access does not appear, the program opens as if it is selected to Allow. But, some of the other programs that are selected as Ask have opened this pop up window for permission. For MSIE I have Removed it from Programs but it later reappears without having opened it, when I select Block, that feature does work. Does the (new) Browser Security feature override my personal Program settings? Any suggestions on what I need to do to regain control of what programs I want to ask for permission to access the internet?
    This is due to the Microsoft Catalog Utilization setting that by default allows all Microsoft programs to run. Instructions for changing this setting can be found here: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72930

puget02 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garywa View Post
    This is due to the Microsoft Catalog Utilization setting that by default allows all Microsoft programs to run. Instructions for changing this setting can be found here: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72930

The thread essentially states to follow this procedure, "Program control main tab, Program control section, click custom, uncheck 'Enable Microsoft catalog utilization" But, in the Free version there is no Custom option, just a slider for Off - Low - Medium (my setting). The High position is for use with ZA Security Suite. There is a Custom option for Automatic Lock. Thanks for your input.

garywa Guest

I haven't used the ZA Free version in a very long time so I am not sure of which settings are or are not available. I know the available setting options are limited in the free version compared to the paid versions. When I found the topic, it stated "free version" in the title, so I figured the response would be correct for the free version.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thread Information