Thread: Free Zone Alarm upgrade froze my computer - help!

froglady Guest

Angry Free Zone Alarm upgrade froze my computer - help!

I'm running a Compaq desktop (about five years old) and an Asus netbook (new in August), both with XP Home, both running Vipre antivirus and both had free ZA 7.0.483.000. The netbook was giving me a message on start-up about True Vector not loading so I thought I would see if there was a newer version of ZA. I installed 9.1.007.002 and that seems to work fine. Then I decided to upgrade the desktop as well. That was the start of major trouble. It never completely installed; when I restarted I never got the splash screen I had on the netbook and every time I tried to open ZA it froze. And everything froze. I couldn't open any browser or Add/Remove programs. With difficulty I did a restore to earlier in the day and it rolled back to the old version of ZA. Even that wasn't good. I could open ZA but just got a blank screen when I did. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled 7.0 from a download folder and everything is working now.

I have two questions: First, why is ZA 9.1 working on the netbook and didn't on the desktop? And should I try it again? Second, I'm about to get a new Dell desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium and I'm not sure what to install on it as a firewall. I've used free ZA for years on various computers. Any advice on either issue? It will be much appreciated.

I'm a novice user so if you need more info, just ask -- and tell me how to find what you need to know!

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Free Zone Alarm upgrade froze my computer - help!

1)The desktop - is it XP SP3? < (latest major Microsoft security update set) you should have updated to XP SP3, if not SP2 may cause issues, and SP1 would probably not work with the newer ZA firewalls. The netbook comes with XP SP3.

2) the desktop - how much RAM memory does it have? standard for most XP five years ago is 512 MB of RAM memory or less. Less 512MB is not enough, 512 is sometimes passable but can be some issues, better with more than 512. The new netbooks will ususally come with 1GB of memory= good.

3) your Vipre antivirus - is it the standard or the preimium version? I have read the new premium version comes with firewall - which is not good > two conflicting firewalls. (when installing ZA firewall, make sure Vipre does not 'hinder' the download/ installation - you may want to "temporarily" reduce it's protection levels or shut-off.)

4) Just One, Not Two -- Never use two 'software firewalls' at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool' or if not available use the Windows XP/ Vista/ Windows 7 'add/remove' software tool in the control panel. You can add/ use a 'hardware firewall' included in a Wired Router, Wireless Router or Broadband Gateway with your ZoneAlarm firewall.

You may use ZoneAlarm firewall with any brand anti-virus software of your choice; so long as there is no other firewall running/ or is installed.

If you have a new pc it will usually come with some pre-installed security software/ trial-ware - please be aware you 'may' need to remove them (Security Suites:firewall+anti-virus, etc) before installing ZoneAlarm firewalls..
    - click here for some basic information > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htmhttp://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm
    __________________________________________________ _______
    My opinion:~ if the old 7.0.483 is working fine with your old XP desktop and you can't get upgrade further - keep it. The firewall will still work; remember to have it upgraded to XP SP3.

When you get the new Windows7, the latest ZA firewalls will work, just remember to 'properly' un-install any pre-installed security software.
    So these are a few thoughts of mine; it doesn't necessarily have to be the "real" cause and effects of your issues - there are too many variables.
    __________________________________________________ ______
    NaiveMelody NYC - 4-14-10 - Peace Frog - The Doors

froglady Guest

Wink Re: Free Zone Alarm upgrade froze my computer - help!

1)The desktop - you should have updated to XP SP3, if not SP2 may cause issues, and SP1 would probably not work with the newer ZA firewalls. The netbook comes with XP SP3.

Running SP3 on desktop

2) the desktop - how much RAM memory does it have?

It has 2048MB

3) your Vipre antivirus

I have Vipre 4.0 without the firewall. I know enough to not run two firewalls at the same time

You may use ZoneAlarm firewall with any brand anti-virus software of your choice; so long as there is no other firewall running/ or is installed.

If you have a new pc it will usually come with some pre-installed security software/ trial-ware - please be aware you 'may' need to remove them (Security Suites:firewall+anti-virus, etc) before installing ZoneAlarm firewalls..

Thanks for this. I've downloaded the MacAfee removal tool as that's what the new computer comes with and will run that before installed ZA.

Thanks for all your advice. Since the new computer is arriving in a few days and this one is running okay with old ZA, I think I'll leave well enough alone on this one. It won't be connected to the Internet once I get the new one up and running.

I'll try the newest version of free ZA on the new one.

I appreciate all the advice and help -- and I may be back if I have problems with the new computer.
    My opinion:~ if the old 7.0.483 is working fine with your old XP desktop and you can't get upgrade further - keep it. The firewall will still work; remember to have it upgraded to XP SP3.

When you get the new Windows7, the latest ZA firewalls will work, just remember to 'properly' un-install any pre-installed security software.
    So these are a few thoughts of mine; it doesn't necessarily have to be the "real" cause and effects of your issues - there are too many variables.
    __________________________________________________ ______
    NaiveMelody NYC - 4-14-10 - Peace Frog - The Doors[/QUOTE]

Thread Information