Thread: Junk email filter not filtering

karjack Guest

Default Junk email filter not filtering

Can someone please tell me why this happens. When I receive junk email, I then block sender/senders company and report junk email. Then I receive emails from the exact same address day after day! Does the "block sender/senders company" feature actually 'block' the junk emails or does it just mean it moves them to another folder? I was under the impression that block means to actually block. And before anyone asks no I haven't accidently put them in the 'allow/allow sender' box. I checked.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Junk email filter not filtering

Quote Originally Posted by karjack View Post
    Can someone please tell me why this happens. When I receive junk email, I then block sender/senders company and report junk email. Then I receive emails from the exact same address day after day! Does the "block sender/senders company" feature actually 'block' the junk emails or does it just mean it moves them to another folder? I was under the impression that block means to actually block. And before anyone asks no I haven't accidently put them in the 'allow/allow sender' box. I checked.
    Thanks.
    It moves it to another Folder..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

As GeorgeV explained, ZA does not truly block, or stop, junk messages from being delivered from the email server to your PC. ZA allows the message to be downloaded to your PC, sees that you have it blocked and puts it in a special "junk" folder created by ZA.

I believe this is by design because most email client programs I have used (Outlook, Outlook Express & Windows Live Mail) have the ability for the user to set message rules. Starting with the release of the 9.X versions of ZA, the developers removed some functions that were redundant with these email clients. See this note on the ZA release history page:

Note: To streamline in an age where web privacy controls are built into the most popular browsers and email attachment scanning is included in the major email applications, privacy controls and inbound MailSafe have been removed with this release.

There have been situations however, where after receiving a junk email from a particular sender, I know that I want to block this sender permanently (as in "don't even download any more messages from the email server to my PC from this sender"). For this, I go into my email client and find the Message Rules section. In Windows Live Mail, for example, its found under Tools-->Message rules-->Mail. There, I set up a simple rule to delete messages from this sender off the mail server. Once the basic rule is set up, it is just a few mouse clicks to add additional senders I want to block as the need arises.

If your goal is to completely stop messages from blocked senders ever reaching your PC, hopefully, this information will help you accomplish that.

To avoid false positives and possibly losing valid emails, I have SPAM filtering turned OFF at my ISP. I rely on ZA and my email client to handle the SPAM. That's just my personal preference and so far it is working.

karjack Guest

Thanks very much garywa for your detailed reply. It would be nice to get rid of them altogether through ZA. I'm using Outlook 2007 I'll have a go at your method.

Thanks again.

garywa Guest

You're welcome.

I only have one message rule set up and I just add new senders (either just the domain or their whole address, depending) as necessary. Outlook 2007 has the same options available.

karjack Guest

Garywa - I'm having a problem working out how to set the rule in Outlook 2007. Eg I have received a junk email from ~BLEEP~ and want to set a rule for it. I go to tools->rules and alerts and then what do I do to stop it even reaching my inbox? I thought I had it set up correctly but apparently not!!

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 19th, 2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Violation of Forum Rules

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karjack View Post
    Garywa - I'm having a problem working out how to set the rule in Outlook 2007. Eg I have received a junk email from ~BLEEP~ and want to set a rule for it. I go to tools->rules and alerts and then what do I do to stop it even reaching my inbox? I thought I had it set up correctly but apparently not!!

Thanks for your help.
    I'm not sure how the option box is set up in Outlook compared to Outlook Express, but look for a selection something like 'Delete From Server.'

This is the option box in Outlook Express:

Last edited by garywa; April 19th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.

karjack Guest

Thanks garywa.

Outlook 2007 has a different setup but I'm know I'm close. I'll have a play around setting something up and let you know how it goes.

Thread Information