Thread: Blank screens after upgrade

wfccweaver Guest

Unhappy Blank screens after upgrade

I upgraded to Extreme Security (3 computer license). It installed fine on 2 of the 3, but on the 3rd, I get a blank screen with zonealarm logo in header. I THINK it might be a scan (why I think that later) but obviously can't tell. I can open the control center and it says everything is installed and running. However when I click on antivirus/antispyware, I get a blank panel - nothing loads in it. I can run update and that pulls down fine. If I click on Scan Now, I get the same blank window I get on startup (why I think the startup one is a scan). The only thing "Extreme" about this is how slow the computer is now running - not sure if it is related to the non-proper functioning or not.

I've uninstalled/installed several times to no avail - including the "clean" version suggested. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Blank screens after upgrade

Try A Reset of your ZA Database..

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wfccweaver Guest

Unhappy Re: Blank screens after upgrade

Tried that but to no avail, still get the same blank screens. It came up right after it found my network and I entered the info. It is the same size as that screen.

One more piece of info, in the Alerts and Logs screen, in the drop down where you select which log you want to look at, there is no text for antivirus/antispam - it is blank. I can select it though.

I'm beginning to wonder if this computer actually has a virus that is impacting this (so much for the protection). I can't see a scan to know though!

wfccweaver Guest

Angry Re: Blank screens after upgrade

Whether it is causing the issue, I ran an online scan and did find that it has the Trojan.Vundo.Gen.1 trojan. Of course without being able to get to the antivirus/antispyware in ZoneAlarm, I can't seem to remove it!

~SNIP~. Any suggestions for how I might remove this will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 17th, 2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by wfccweaver View Post
    Tried that but to no avail, still get the same blank screens. It came up right after it found my network and I entered the info. It is the same size as that screen.

I'm beginning to wonder if this computer actually has a virus that is impacting this (so much for the protection). I can't see a scan to know though!
    Then try this: (if you can't access any part of the Following steps, just go on to the next Step)

Malware Clean-up Guidance
    NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (version 9.1.507 onwards). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Super Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    2. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    3. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    4. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to default Quick scan

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

A. Download, update and scan with the Free ver. of MBAM <== Click here
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running (you can change the .exe into a .com)
    B. Use the superantispyware online cleaning tool --> Here or download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running.

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

For a final check that your PC is clean run Hitman Pro cloud scanning (the scanner is free not the cleaning)

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to Bleepingcomputer or SpywareHammer

Once you have cleaned the system please remember to purge the windows system restore points. You may be reinfected otherwise.
    - Disable system restore (How to disable windows
    SYSTEM RESTORE);
    - Reboot the PC
    - Re-ensable system restore
    GeorgeV

wfccweaver Guest

I'll try that but note that I can't get to the advanced options to set "Super Scan" because that screen is blank when I click on Antivirus/Antispam (the original post).

Quote Originally Posted by wfccweaver View Post
    I'll try that but note that I can't get to the advanced options to set "Super Scan" because that screen is blank when I click on Antivirus/Antispam (the original post).
    Just In case you did not read all of my Post:

PLEASE NOTE: (if you can't access any part of the Following steps, just go on to the next Step)
    GeorgeV

wfccweaver Guest

No, I saw and followed that, just doing my own "just in case you didn't see my original comments"

It is scanning, but I can't see any progress as the scanning screen itself is blank. I can tell from the system tray though that it is scanning. I do know from previous scans that it will eventually come back with results. It attempted to remove this before and failed, but I wasn't in safe mode at the time. It seems to have attached itself to the winlogon process.

wfccweaver Guest

Angry Re: Blank screens after upgrade

Ok, took a LONG time as it took 4 different virus/spyware scanners to finally get it removed (several detected it and said they removed it, but it kept coming back). So, now I have a clean system.

However, I still have my original problem. My hope was that cleaning off the trojan and reinstalling (clean) ZoneAlarm would fix the blank screen issue - but it does not. I still cannot see:
    The Antivirus/AntiSpyware label in the drop down on the log screen (I can select the blank label though and get the log)
    Anything on the Antivirus/AntiSpyware tab - just get a blank panel under both Main and Quarantine sub-sections
    Anything but a blank screen when I do a scan - so I can't tell what it is doing nor can I select any options for the scan.

I really want this fixed!

Smile Re: Blank screens after upgrade

Thank you for your Feedback..

The Next Step, is for you to Contact ZA Tech Support Live Chat, with Details of your Computer, Version of windows, Type and Version of Zone Alarm, and explain your problem to them..

Click the support Link in my signature..

We are ALL Users here in this User Supported Forum..

Please Post back here with your Progress Report
    GeorgeV

Thread Information