Thread: alert at Open-File dialog

wimwwimw Guest

Default alert at Open-File dialog

Since a few months, ZA is activated whenever a program comes with an Open File Dialog, warning that the program is trying to access the trusted zone. Denying the access seems to have no adverse effect on that programs behaviour.

This phenomenon is quite new. It may be due to an update of ZA, of WinXP, or just a setting on my computers. However, it is a nuisance, for I don't want to permanently grant access to all my programs, so every time I have to move the mousepointer to the corner of the screen to deny, before selecting a file. Nor is it possible to deny permanently, for I am developing software, and every compile is considered as a different application by ZA.

Does anyone have some good advice for me?

thanks,

Wim

Default Re: alert at Open-File dialog

Hi!
    Not sure I fully understand the question... could you be more specific?

The behavior is by design, new programs not classified in the ZA central database or not signed by Microsoft will request user intervention if accessing the trusted or internet zone or acting suspiciously (OS firewall).

But if you grant access to the program you will not grant access to all programs. Only to that one...

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wimwwimw Guest

Yes, there' s clearly a misunderstanding.

Whenever an not previously registered programm tries to enter the network, the firewall must interfere. That' s correct.
    However, few programs run without having to open the Open File dialog once in a while. If that standard dialog tries to see the network, there are to many false alarms. (I suppose it' s a false alarm, at least).

You are partially right. If you' d select always allow or always deny, for a normal application you' ll have to tell ZA your decission only once. The list of registered applications would be longer than necessary, for most of the apps only activated the firewall through unvoluntary Windows functions, but that doesn' t seem too harmfull.

For some programs I don' t want to decide forever, and I don' t check the Remember-my-decission box. This will trigger ZA every time a file is to be selected by such a program.

The most annoying is though, programs that are under construction. They change hundreds of times per day and therefore cannot be registered with ZA (the binaries are different each time).

At this moment, I don' t think ZA should be changed to solve this. I wouldn' t know a safe way to discern whether a program is trying to access the network or whether it is doing that unintentionally through a Windows' dll. But I do hope that some tweak exists with what I could stop XP from looking at the network when building up a directory tree for the fileselector.

regards,

Wim

Quote Originally Posted by wimwwimw View Post
    Yes, there' s clearly a misunderstanding.

At this moment, I don' t think ZA should be changed to solve this. I wouldn' t know a safe way to discern whether a program is trying to access the network or whether it is doing that unintentionally through a Windows' dll. But I do hope that some tweak exists with what I could stop XP from looking at the network when building up a directory tree for the fileselector.

regards,

Wim

This sounds like a Microsoft problem? Zone Alarm is not designed to control Win XP?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

But I do hope that some tweak exists with what I could stop XP from looking at the network when building up a directory tree for the fileselector.
    Not that I know, sorry.

Fax

wimwwimw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    This sounds like a Microsoft problem? Zone Alarm is not designed to control Win XP?
    It is to run under XP. Even if you can' t change it you' d want to know about it. If I am correct thinking it is XP, there will be others with the same problem. Here is the place to talk about it. A websearch isn' t helpfull if you can' t think of the same terms others have used to describe the same thing.

wimwwimw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Not that I know, sorry.

Fax
    Thanks, nonetheless.

If I am correct thinking it is XP, there will be others with the same problem.
    To be honest I never heard of this weird request before. Most programs and OSs needs to lookup at local host for diagnostic reasons, you should not be surprised moreover been a programmer. Please note this is a ZA product user support board, other issues like XP configuration, development, ZA policy, etc... is simply not for here

In case you have no other ZA related questions I will close this thread.

Thanks,
    Fax

wimwwimw Guest

You' ve just lost a fan here.

Uuhm this sounds like the issue can be now closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for any other ZA product related problem.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information