elizabethgreenaway Guest

Unhappy Unable to connect to update server

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Version 9.1.507.000
    True Vector security engine vers 9.1.507.000
    Driver Vers 9.1.503.000
    AntiVirus/Anti Syware engine version 8.0.2.48, DAT file version 1013558304
    Anti Spam vers 6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.149.0

Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3 - German version

Acer Laptop
    AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile
    Technology TL-50

Hi,
    I recently bought Zonealarm Extreme. I installed it on both my Samsung and Acer laptops. I have no problems with the Samsung but the Acer will not update AV/AS. I get, "Error: Unable to connect to update server".

I have no third party Firewall. I have no conflicting AV/AS software.
    I previously had Norton installed but this was removed/uninstalled before installing Zonealarm.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software acoupe of times. Both using the standard unistall, and when this did not make any difference, using the CPES uninstall exe. I have also brought the update servers ip addresses into my trusted zone. None of this has made any difference

I am now feeling fairly annoyed and a little worried as my AV signatures age daily.

I hope you can help.

Elizabeth
    Last edited by GeorgeV; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Incomplete information

Default Re: Unable to connect to update server

Uuuhm, actually ZA does not support any version of XP MCE. This may be the problem. Alternatively you can look to this specific ACER problem:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...ht=ACER+solved

If the above fails then better to contact directly the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

elizabethgreenaway Guest

Interesting.
    Are you saying that the "Error" message generated when I update is entirely misleading?

It states that I "cannot connect to the update server".
    Consider that; I can connect to other external servers; I can remote desktop; I can surf, download etc without any problems.

If it was a problem at my end, bearing in mind that my Internet connectivity appears to be OK, I would expect to connect to the servers but then have problems downloading the AV/AS signatures.

Surely I am being rejected at the Zonealarm server end!

Is it relevant that my Registration on my Acer is still pending. It's not pending on the Samsung.

As an aside, if the problem is XP MCE, it seems somewhat cruel to allow me to download and install and then reject my PC from the update server because it hosts XP MCE.

best wishes,
    Liz
    Last edited by elizabethgreenaway; April 22nd, 2010 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethgreenaway View Post
    Interesting.
    Are you saying that the "Error" message generated when I update is entirely misleading?
    Not really, just summarising the knowledge base here. The failure may be related to many different causes or problems from hardware (modem, router, wireless adapter), software (e.g. proxy server set under the system connection settings), conflicts with other software/tools installed, malware infections, ZA left overs, bad registry entries, etc.

Really difficult to troubleshoot remotely. This is why I was suggesting to contact the official support (we are all users here) especially considering you have a retail version of ZA and you are entitled to free support.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pcm81 Guest

Here is the solution:

Charlie: Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    me: Hello, for the past couple days I can not update anti-virus definitions on zone alarm. ZA fails to connect to the server. Error reads: "Error: Unable to connect to update server". I do have access to the internet on this machine. Last update completed on 4/23/2010. Google yields no help. I am running windows vista 64-bit and am admin on this machine. ZA updates worked fine up until now. I am running ZA Security suit with Zlclient.exe version 9.1.507.0
    Charlie: The ZoneAlarm anti-virus update server may need to be added as trusted within ZoneAlarm per the steps below.
    Charlie: 1.) Open ZoneAlarm.
    Charlie: 2.) Click Firewall on the left.
    Charlie: 3.) Click Zones
    Charlie: 4.) Click Add -> Host/Site.
    Charlie: 5.) Enter: kav8.zonealarm.com in the Host name field.
    Charlie: 6.) For Description enter: AVUpdate.
    Charlie: 7.) Click Lookup, then click OK.
    Charlie: 8.) Repeat this for upd.zonelabs.com
    Charlie: 9.) Click Apply to the lower right.
    Charlie: 10.) Restart your computer to ensure that these changes take effect.
    me: before i restart and loose the chat, did these changes take effect recently? I was able to update for the past 6 month with no zone issues... I made changes but have not restarted yet. i am on that same comp chatting.
    me: looks like it worked, the update just completed successfully

Charlie: Good to hear ...
    me: Thanks, my issue is resolved. you're the best.

Did not require restart of my PC.
    Last edited by pcm81; April 27th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

discodean Guest

Angry Re: Unable to connect to update server

Yeah,
    I get this problem every few months. This time it has been a real pain in the butt as it took so long to resolve, and then only by following your post detailing the Zone Labs response. It seems to be an intermittent bug.

I am running XP Pro

Thanks
    Dean

tomcatboy Guest

Smile Re: Unable to connect to update server

This annoying message means you ZA in not able to connect to the server.Then, There should be something wrong with your connection, If your previously could update your ZA , but now, it doesn't work, just try to ask yourself about programmes your've recently run on your pc. For example, some proxy programmes can do some changes on connecttions.

First, stop running these Softwares.
    Second,On ZA, go to the overview>preferences> on general section click on option and uncheck the proxy box.

third go to your browser and do this, for IE go to the Tools>INTERNET options>connections> in the box choose connection you use ( for example, (dsl, dial up , broad band,.. you can do for all connections. ) > click on settings for chosen connection> go to the "proxy server" section and uncheck " the box saying " use a proxy server for this connection (....

then, click on OK and run ZA update and see if it works or not

Please tell me if it worked for you.

Hope it works Honey,

Persian guy

dlapid Guest

I have the same problem and this fix did not work.
    I am using Dell XPS Widows Vista Ultimate.
    The Zone alarm parameters are the same but the DAT file version is: 1013562400.
    Any advise?
    Thanks

smtjs Guest

Sorry to intrude, but this is a work-around that I use.

Reboot into Safe Mode with networking. (Must have networking)

Manually start ZoneAlram Security.

Run the Anti-Virus updates.

Reboot into normal operations.

I hope this will work for you.

Thread Information