Thread: Configuring ZoneAlarm Pro for internet access

catcherr Guest

Default Configuring ZoneAlarm Pro for internet access

Hello

First some info:
    I am using windows XP, no network, connected to the internet using a dialer set to L2PT IPSec VPN (configured according to ISP instructions).

I also applied some registry fix the ISP asked me to, because I couldn't connect from the dialer, it contained the following lines:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RasMan\Parameters]
    "ProhibitIpSec"=dword:00000001

The Marvell Yukon is the onboard controller the network cable is connected to, from the internet modem.
    The PPP adapter I assume is the dialer.

And to my questions:
    I am using ZoneAlarm Pro and would like to know if my Firewall Zones configuration is correct;

In ZA Zones tab I have a 'New Network' set to [Internet] (I was unsure if to choose it as Trusted or Internet when the ZA pop up windows showed).
    This is actually 'Marvell Yukon PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller', name taken from Device Name in windows Network Connections.
    In the Zones tab its set to IP: [IP/255.255.240.0], Type: [Network].
    Is this OK, and should it be set to [Internet] or [Trusted] Zone?

Now the dialer connected and internet was working fine for some hours, until the dialer disconnected, and I received a message from ZA asking if I use a VPN connection. I don't know why it happened only after several hours, and how internet was working fine until then, but I figured I had to accept so ZA will configure itself so the internet dialer would connect again.

After I accepted, ZA created 2 new lines in Zones tab:
    -A line with name of the [ISP/dialer name], and IP of: [IP listed under PPP adapter from ipconfig/255.255.255.255]. Type: [Network], Zone: [Internet].
    -A line with name: [VPN: ISP Host name configured in dialer]. IP: [ISP Host name configured in dialer]. Type: [Host/Site]. Zone: [Trusted].

What I want to know is if each of the three lines are configured properly (IP/Subnet Mask, Zone)

Also, since I use a dialer, every time I reconnect, I will receive a slightly different IP. Will ZA automatically detect it every time?

I hope I was clear.

Thanks.
    Last edited by catcherr; April 7th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Default Re: Configuring ZoneAlarm Pro for internet access

Considering no user here was able to help and since you are using a retail version of ZA I would recommend to contact ZA technical support. They may be help to point you to the problem (or may be not). It is free for registered users. Link in my signature. They are closed on weekends

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information