Thread: ZAISS 9.1.507.000 creates multiple avupdate.logs

ananda Guest

Question ZAISS 9.1.507.000 creates multiple avupdate.logs

I have installed ZAISS 9.1.507.000 on three computers: Win 7 Ultim 64-bit, XP Prof (SP3) and Win XP Home (SP3).
    According to some reports in the Installation section, I had installed them as an upgrade.
    That went without any problems., indeed.
    But this morning, on Win XP Home, I noticed IE8 had a problem doing an a Windows Update. It said I had to enable the "Userdate persistence" option in Security. That was, however, impossible, since it was enabled already. :-(
    So I consulted ZA Technical Staff. I was advised to do a clean install.
    And indeed, gone was the problem.

As I had performed a clean install, the AV base had to be update. I did, without any problem.

Yesterday I went checking \Windows\Internet Logs . And noticed I had several "avupdate.log" files, going from avupdate.log to avupdate5.log.

I just checked again, and to my surprise, I have 4 more today on both my Win 7 and Win XP Prof. On Win XP Home I have only 4, but then, only two updates have taken place so far.

I noticed that those updates have the same time indication as those mentioned in the ZA Log Viewer. Apparently there are two for each update: one with a 1 kb size, and one oscillating between 588 and 680 kb. So far my 9 log files amount to 3.48 MB. Not funny if this continues in the same way!

I asked Technical Staff, but they came right out of the blue, so to speak. As these were only log files, they could be safely removed, so I was told. But perhaps I should keep the latest. Note that that last word is in the singular, so the employee was apparently unaware of there being two for each update.

I'd like to ask the readers who have installed ZAISS 9.1.507.000 to check their number of avupdate.log files in \Windows\Internet Logs, and report it here, so that I know this writer is not the only one collecting these files. And if I am not the only one, then kindly report it to ZA Technical Staff, too.

Thanks for reading, and contributing.

Ananda

UPDATE
    --------

I've just had another AV update on my computers.
    I noticed they overwrote two of the avupdate.log files in c:\Windows\Internet Files.
    Apparently all (up to avupdate9.log) are necessary... ???
    I wonder why the history file does not mention these things so that we, the valued users, know something more about the product we paid for. Or do I ask too much?
    Last edited by ananda; April 9th, 2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typo - adding text. - Update

garywa Guest

Default Re: ZAISS 9.1.507.000 creates multiple avupdate.logs

Yes, it would appear that this was a change that came about with this latest release. I have them also. I thought I remembered seeing some other posts about this, but I can't find them off hand. I may not be using the right search terms.

I am running WinXP Pro SP3 fully patched with all critical Microsoft updates.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.507.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.507.000
    Driver version:9.1.503.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1015636608
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

ananda Guest

Garywa

I read you trust CCleaner to remove the files in c:\Windows\Internet Files.
    But apparently CCleaner forgot to remove the xDBx.tmp files. You still have those from Dec 2009 - a formerf ZA life!
    As well as vsmon_2nd_***.zip.
    You can safely delete them. No problem.
    Unless, of course, you treasure them.... :-)

All the best,

Ananda

P.S.- For other new 'error' information, see http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...895#post277895 .
    Last edited by ananda; April 10th, 2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Typos. - Added PS.

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    Garywa

I read you trust CCleaner to remove the files in c:\Windows\Internet Files.
    But apparently CCleaner forgot to remove the xDBx.tmp files. You still have those from Dec 2009 - a formerf ZA life!
    As well as vsmon_2nd_***.zip.
    You can safely delete them. No problem.
    Unless, of course, you treasure them.... :-)

All the best,

Ananda

P.S.- For other new 'error' information, see http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...895#post277895 .
    Considering the problems with this latest build, I am probably going to go back to 9.1.008.000 on both my PCs. When I do, I'll clean out the windows\internet logs folder.

I treasure the disk space more than these old files.

I've never looked into exactly what ZA files CCleaner deletes. I know I've seen entries in the ZA OS Firewall log where ZA blocked CCleaner from changing some ZA files.

chesbay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garywa View Post
    Considering the problems with this latest build, I am probably going to go back to 9.1.008.000 on both my PCs. When I do, I'll clean out the windows\internet logs folder.

I treasure the disk space more than these old files.
    Gary,

did you go back to 9.1.008.000 , and has it solved the problem? I am running XP sp3 with newer version ZA and it has been making a mess of my hard drive for weeks.

Please let me know if this is a fix.
    Thanks in advance, Paul

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chesbay View Post
    Gary,

did you go back to 9.1.008.000 , and has it solved the problem? I am running XP sp3 with newer version ZA and it has been making a mess of my hard drive for weeks.

Please let me know if this is a fix.
    Thanks in advance, Paul
    Yes, I did. I have experienced no problems with this release. Here is my current Internet Logs folder contents and size.

chesbay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garywa View Post
    Yes, I did. I have experienced no problems with this release. Here is my current Internet Logs folder contents and size.

Thanks for quick response and encouraging news Gary.

I am going to give this a try.

Again many thanks,
    Paul

ps: I see "Zonealarm Free Firewall 9.2.020 Beta" was just released but I think I will play it safe w/your solution for now until I can see some feedback on beta version.

Thread Information