Thread: XP: ZA Free = BSOD?

bouncedk Guest

Default XP: ZA Free = BSOD?

Hi guys.
    First of all, I've never ever had any issues with ZA. I have used it for years, however today I installed a new harddrive, formated, checked for broken sectors (all of which returned 0, good harddrive) installed XP, but when I install ZA Free, Windows will not boot. It comes up with the infamous BSOD.

I'm not sure if ZA has been updated in the last couple of weeks or something but right now I'm at a loss and have no idea how to fix this. The only solution to get my XP working is to boot in safe mode and remove ZA.

Anyone experiencing this? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Post Re: XP: ZA Free = BSOD?

I'm sorry, I have never had that problem..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

1.) did you Fully Update Windows XP to SP3, plus the 70 or more Additional Microsoft Updates?

2.) What version of ZAFree? 6.5, 7.0, 8.0, 9.1?

3.) What other Security Software installed?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bouncedk Guest

Default Re: XP: ZA Free = BSOD?

1. SP 2 with all updates. I'm not a big fan of SP 3
    2. Latest version from the website.
    3. No other security software installed. Fresh XP so only Steam and PerfectDisk installed so far.

Post Re: XP: ZA Free = BSOD?

Quote Originally Posted by bouncedk View Post
    1. SP 2 with all updates. I'm not a big fan of SP 3
    2. Latest version from the website.
    3. No other security software installed. Fresh XP so only Steam and PerfectDisk installed so far.
    I'm Sorry, But No Brand of Security Software can fully protect a computer that is not maintained, There are 100's of Hackers developing new threats for Computers with Windows OS, that is why Microsoft provides Critical Updates and service packs to plug up Holes in the Windows XP..

Unfortunately, ZoneAlarm Firewall or any other Free Firewall can not protect your computer from the flaws and holes in WinXP SP2 that were fixed by Windows SP3 plus all the additional updates released by Microsoft after SP3..

BSOD errors usually occure due to a Conflict caused by other Software Blocking or Compeating for the same spot in Windows evironment..

Maybe some other User can help you..
    GeorgeV

findley Guest

Hi guys.
    First of all, I've never ever had any issues with ZA. I have used it for years, however today I installed a new harddrive, formated, checked for broken sectors (all of which returned 0, good harddrive) installed XP, but when I install ZA Free, Windows will not boot. It comes up with the infamous BSOD.

I'm not sure if ZA has been updated in the last couple of weeks or something but right now I'm at a loss and have no idea how to fix this. The only solution to get my XP working is to boot in safe mode and remove ZA.

Anyone experiencing this? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks.
    bouncedk,

1- Are you installing zone alarm free firewall to the C: drive; if not that could be cause of BSOD
    2- Is za free the only security software installed when it BSOD or do you have other security software installed which may be conflicting? Tried uninstalling any other security software and clean install of zafree - any difference? Tried using theZone Alarm Removal Tool Also see I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000)
    3- Maybe a corrupt zafree file download? Tried downloading a fresh copy, use the zone alarm removal tool and then check for leftover files and registry entries as listed in these instructions here

Findley

bouncedk Guest

As I said it's a complete formated drive with a fresh OS install so it shouldn't really conflict with anything =) Also I've tried downloading it twice now and it happens every time. I'll look for other options as it seems ZA wont work on my system anymore.

Thanks for the help though.

try this..
    The simplest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZAFREE
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    ZAP http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html
    ZAAV http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html
    ZAXS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zaxs/releaseHistory.html

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV

findley Guest

As I said it's a complete formated drive with a fresh OS install so it shouldn't really conflict with anything =) Also I've tried downloading it twice now and it happens every time. I'll look for other options as it seems ZA wont work on my system anymore.

Thanks for the help though.
    bouncedk,
    sorry to hear it didn't work out for you - Good luck
    Findley

bouncedk Guest

Ah seems to be working after SP3 install. How odd that it doesn't support SP2.
    Anyway time to upgrade to win7 soon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by findley View Post
    bouncedk,
    sorry to hear it didn't work out for you - Good luck
    Findley
    Thank you for your Feedback..

One word of caution..

If you plan on Upgrading Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7, you must Uninstall Zone Alarm first.. to avoind Conflict with Windows 7..

The same ZA version Installer for WinXP will Install on Windows 7, after Windows 7 is installed, but one Installed on WinXP, ZA attached to the WinXP NTKERNAL, and the Attachment link for Windows 7 NTKernal are Different that on WinXP.. So Better to Uninstall ZA from XP before upgrading the Same Computer to windows 7..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information