Thread: Constantly having to pick network type each boot! Help!

zczc Guest

Default Constantly having to pick network type each boot! Help!

Hi Guys,

I have searched the forum for this which seems to happen to others, and tried those.

I have internet security 9.1.507 - the latest one

Whenever i boot me PC it always asks if the network attactched is Internet or Trusted. I am alwayshaving to tell it trusted, but it never remembers for some reason.

I followed the advice; unistalled, restarted, reinstalled - same problem

2. Reset settings by resetting settings - holding down alt ctrl or whatever and clicking reset, but still the same problem!

Has anyone found the solution? Or know what to do??

I want to try theZA uninstall tool, where is it? Or I might have to go back to 8 where it worked fine but really dont want too.

DO you know where the unisntall tool is located and old versions of ZA internet security?

PLease, PLease someone must know the solution!!!!

thanks!!!!

garywa Guest

Default Re: Constantly having to pick network type each boot! Help!

Download the clean removal tool here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Which ZA product do you have - Extreme, Security Suite, Pro, Anti-virus? The download links are different.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 4th, 2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: update ZA Removal tool link

zczc Guest

I'll try the clean uninstall and let you know

I've got ZA Internet Security 9.1.507 - just the normal internet security suite

Does anyone have any links to old versions of ZA internet security?
    They used to on the updates page, but removed them? WHY!!!???

The latest version is not always the one that works on everyone's pc... please put them back where they used to be..

Keep you updated with how the uninstall tool helped.

thanks

Here is some Additional Info from the Forum knowlagebase:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...366#post278366
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zczc View Post
    I'll try the clean uninstall and let you know

I've got ZA Internet Security 9.1.507 - just the normal internet security suite

Does anyone have any links to old versions of ZA internet security?
    They used to on the updates page, but removed them? WHY!!!???

The latest version is not always the one that works on everyone's pc... please put them back where they used to be..

Keep you updated with how the uninstall tool helped.

thanks
    We are all users here and have no control over what ZA does with the download pages of their website.

Here is the link to download release 9.1.008.000 of ZASS: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...008_000_en.exe

All you have to do is copy the shortcut to the current release download link and edit the "507" to "008"

zczc Guest

Thanks a lot for all the help guys..

think I might move back to v 8
    does anyone know the link to the latest version of ZASS 8?

The fix worked, but its not very elegant since I move from trusted to internet zones a lot and don't want zones automatically added to internet zone withoutasking me for the very first time, but then not bother me again....

~Bleep~

My specs are XPHome, 1.7GHZ celeron M, ATI chipset, atheros WLAN, 1GB, latest ZASS 9

But my friend has the same issue with his home LAN. He has a Dell Core 2 Duo, 3GB, Intel Chipset and graphics (I think), 3GB, realtek lan I think too...

Hope this helps with getting a solution for the next update.

THink I might move back to v8 until this is resolved.

THanks for all your help guys!!!!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 5th, 2010 at 06:57 PM.

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zczc View Post
    Thanks a lot for all the help guys..

The fix worked, but its not very elegant since I move from trusted to internet zones a lot and don't want zones automatically added to internet zone withoutasking me for the very first time, but then not bother me again....
    This issue is part of version 9 family, and is not an issue with your computer, install, etc. so reinstalls, resets, etc. are not going to change it. I, too, have had the same phenomenon, and I suspect everyone does who hasn't configured the "workaround". New users of ZoneAlarm who never used a previous version probably are not complaining since they were never spoiled by the previous versions remembering the setting. But for me personally, although it was slightly annoying at first, I'm no longer sure it should be changed.

It bothered me at first, but now I've mellowed and sort of changed my mind about the slight inconvenience. There might be an argument for keeping it the way it is. I am so used to it now, that I can rapidly click on the right selection that I want, and it hardly slows me down. And I'm able to confirm quickly what zone I want (for me it is Internet Zone, since I don't do any sharing).

So I believe ZA development configured it that way on purpose--to force people to think when they log on which zone to choose--especially if they go back and forth from home/work to airport, coffee shop, library, etc. They may have the wrong zone setting configured for those public places if they had selected the advanced option to "include network in the Trusted Zone on detection" as their default.

The good news is that if someone has chosen for a new network to be automatically added to the internet zone (as the default), that is the safest configuration when set to the default of "High" of course; i.e., the internet zone is safer than the trusted zone. Of course, if people need to share with other PC's, printer, etc. on their own network they'll need to trust their own network components when appropriate. Automatic addition to the trusted zone, however, is less secure in the scenario explained below:

One danger is that someone configures a laptop for trusted zone for new networks automatically; i.e., "place all new networks in the trusted zone." They use this at home with their network fine (assuming their network is properly protected and secured from outsiders--but that's a whole different topic). But when they take their laptop to the airport or coffee shop, library, etc., they may forget to set it differently. So ZA could recognize the guest network as "trusted" by default, putting your computer in greater risk in those public places. In those places you would want to use internet zone (on HIGH of course), not trusted zone.. I'm so paranoid that in a public place even after choosing "Internet Zone", I'd look in the Firewall>Main>Zones page to see that it correctly put it in the Internet Zone

Now all that having been said, on the Firewall Main Page, under the ADVANCED button, which opens up the Advanced Security settings where these options are found, there is an option (checked by default) that says "Automatically put new unprotected wireless networks (WEP or WPA) in the Internet Zone." I'm not sure how much that overrides any of the above settings and how exactly they are defining "unprotected" or "unsecured" (even the HELP section is unclear). The coffee shop, hotel room, or a friend's house, for instance, might consider itself a secured network for its customers who have the password/access code. You are sort of at their mercy for security, and that wouldn't be completely comforting since other customers could potentially share if you defaulted into Trusted Zone. I think it would be safer to manually to have to chose Internet Zone in those conditions. But, of course,I would definitely leave the checkmark there in case the public network is completely insecure--then ZA would at least offer the default protection of an Internet Zone. In any case, I certainly would not remove that checkmark--that would really be dangerous. I don't even know why they would make it removable.

I don't claim to be an expert on all this, just a long time ZA user like others in this forum. If I've confused anyone, or if you need more definitive info, contact Tech Support. If you're using a paid version, you can chat with a tech free during business hours on weekdays.
    Last edited by critterjoe; May 7th, 2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Clarity

Thread Information