Thread: Every reboot turning on AV and SmartDef Adv to auto

iai Guest

Default Every reboot turning on AV and SmartDef Adv to auto

Everytime I reboot my computer Zone Alarm Security Suite resets Smart Defense adviser to Auto and turns its anti virus on and at the same time turns my other av off.

I've done the ctrl+shift reset thing, nothing.

version - 9.1.507.000
    true vector is the same
    driver version - 9.1.503.000
    av/anti-spy - 8.0.2.48 | dat file - 1019326016
    antispam - 6.0.0.2385

Default Re: Every reboot turning on AV and SmartDef Adv to auto

This is because for some reason ZA is not able to safe the configuration on the system. This may be due to wrong permission on the system or corruption of OS, malware infection, forced shutdown (e.g. power off button, etc).

Try this: Once you have done your modifications, right click the ZA icon near the clock, shutdown ZA, wait 2 minutes, re-open ZA and check the settings are saved. If they are saved your system does not shutdown properly or the booting is disrupted causing ZA not to function properly. If it does not work then ZA is unable to save the configuration on C:\Internet Log\.

In both cases you should solve your system problems before installing ZA.

Did it ever work? Is it a first install? Is it a retail ZA version? Do you have other security/registry tools installed?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

iai Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    This is because for some reason ZA is not able to safe the configuration on the system. This may be due to wrong permission on the system or corruption of OS, malware infection, forced shutdown (e.g. power off button, etc).

Try this: Once you have done your modifications, right click the ZA icon near the clock, shutdown ZA, wait 2 minutes, re-open ZA and check the settings are saved. If they are saved your system does not shutdown properly or the booting is disrupted causing ZA not to function properly. If it does not work then ZA is unable to save the configuration on C:\Internet Log\.

In both cases you should solve your system problems before installing ZA.

Did it ever work? Is it a first install? Is it a retail ZA version? Do you have other security/registry tools installed?

Cheers,
    Fax
    Thanks for the reply. shutting it down and restarting the program after 2 mins left the settings saved.

It's a first install on this windows installation. it's retail ZA and I have Eset nod32.

Hi!
    just noticed now that you are actually using two antivirus programs (thank you skysoldier for the hint). You should never run two antivirus at the same time. They will fight for resources, cause conflicts behind the scene and block each others at access and cleaning time with the end results of less security.

Please remove ZA Suite or downgrade to a non-av version of ZA (e.g. ZAPRO or ZA free) or remove ESET.

The above may be the problem or may be there are other issue involving the OS.

Please note that ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avast free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comodo, Rising, PC Doctor, MS Security Essential, AVIRA and many others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should. Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility
    http://www.appremover.com/

Cheers,
    Fax

iai Guest

Can I just downgrade to a non-av without paying? I've already got a subscription on security suite. And, I'd rather use NOD than the ZA AV.

But I don't see how it could be a problem because everytime ZA turns its AV on, I almost immediately disable it and override the block.

You need to contact the ZA official customer support and check for possibility of a license swap.

Golden rule of PC security is:

- Never run two firewalls
    - Never run two AVs

They may look running ok but (as you see) issues can appear that makes your usage experience problematic (apart from the security risks). Security tools can conflicts even if disabled. For example, usually core AV system drivers are loaded at boot regardless if your AV is ON and OFF.

Please note that antivirus in ZA is provided by Kaspersky Labs combined with a ZA internally developed advanced scan, these are effective and provide equivalent protection (or even better) than the other product.

Fax

Thread Information