Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA free 9.1.007.002: VSmon creeping memory leak

Dynasplut Guest

Default ZA free 9.1.007.002: VSmon creeping memory leak

Hi all.

When I start ZoneAlarm, eg. after booting up, vsmon (according to the Windows task manager) uses about 16,000k of memory.

Leave it for a day, and it's using 50,000k. Leave it over the weekend, it's using 200,000k. Leave it for a week, and it's using 600,000k or more. Stopping and restarting ZoneAlarm resets the progression.

Why?

DS.
    Last edited by fax; May 18th, 2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Title

Dynasplut Guest

Default Re: VSmon creeping memory leak

PS - OS is WinXP SP3, ZA rev. 9.1.007.002. DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasplut View Post
    Why?

DS.
    Almost impossible to answer. May depend on software installed or harware issues. I would recommend trying the ZA free beta and feedback directly the developers via the beta feedback.

www.zonealarm.com/beta

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Dynasplut Guest

Hi Fax, and thanks for getting back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Almost impossible to answer. May depend on software installed or harware issues. I would recommend trying the ZA free beta and feedback directly the developers via the beta feedback.

www.zonealarm.com/beta

Fax
    I didn't think 9.1.007 was beta. I like stable releases...

It's a memory leak. It should be trivial to test. But without access to the source code, you're right, it's darn near impossible to debug.

DS.

Dynasplut Guest

Default Re: ZA free 9.1.007.002: VSmon creeping memory leak

PS - I should mention that the 'leaving it over the weekend' means exactly that. Doing nothing with the machine besides leaving it alone. Not moving the mouse. Not touching the keyboard. Nothing (Screen savers kicked in, I'll grant that). The house was uninhabited and locked up with just the machine purring away (I went sailing). DS.

edited to fix punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasplut View Post
    Hi Fax, and thanks for getting back to me.
    I didn't think 9.1.007 was beta.
    DS.
    In fact 9.1.007 is not beta, what I have suggested is to move on to the new version currently in beta. The advantage is that you can feedback directly the developers in case you see that also the new beta suffers the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax

Hello,

I'm not saying this to be smart. But if the system is just sitting there NOT doing a single thing then turn it off.

ZA is not designed for running constatly for a week or longer. VSMON can take up some resources but it only does it when there is a process or application we monitor is doing something.

Really sounds like there is a purpose for running this system and it is doing something than just sitting there in an uninhabited house doing nothing but running up an electric bill.

Yes it may be no ones business what your really doing with this system but if your not going to disclose fully everything then we cant really give you any help and nor can technical support.

Forum Moderator.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Dynasplut Guest

Hello Moderator. Thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Hello,
    ZA is not designed for running constatly for a week or longer. VSMON can take up some resources but it only does it when there is a process or application we monitor is doing something.

Really sounds like there is a purpose for running this system and it is doing something than just sitting there in an uninhabited house doing nothing but running up an electric bill.
    Forum Moderator.
    Well, usually when I go away for the weekend I do shut it down, but I wanted to see what vsmon did...

What it does during the week is CAD, pretty much all the time. I leave it running overnight for several reasons - to cut down boot time in the morning, so it can do backups unattended, and calculate prime numbers with any leftover CPU cycles (Yay GIMPS!), but I turned all that off. VSmon still ate memory.

During the day it does Eagle PCB layout, Solidworks modeling, OpenOffice documentation, and a fair amount of idly websurfing (Opera 10.52). It's my "work" machine, and yes, it's also connected to the Internet (over WildBlue satellite) all the time.

I guess what you're telling me is just to restart ZoneAlarm every now and then. I can do that, although it's not exactly a fix I'm happy with. It's a workaround.

Fax: I'd rather not use 'beta' software, thanks. I like stability. The idea is that things like this have already been fixed.

DS.
    Last edited by Dynasplut; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: edited to add 'beta software' remark

As you prefer. Beta is actually very stable. Or just wait for the new version to be published and update to it. It should be a matter of days.

Vsmon picks can be related also to corrupted ZA settings. When you will install the new version please start from stracth, do not keep any existing setting that could be the origin of the problem.

Cheers,
    Fax

Dynasplut Guest

Hi Fax,

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    As you prefer. Beta is actually very stable. Or just wait for the new version to be published and update to it. It should be a matter of days.

Vsmon picks can be related also to corrupted ZA settings. When you will install the new version please start from stracth, do not keep any existing setting that could be the origin of the problem.

Cheers,
    Fax
    I think I'll wait for the release and in the meantime restart ZA few times. It's a pity it's not designed to run 24x7, as I think a software firewall is a great idea on pretty much any computer (as part of a layered security scheme). Anyhow...

I thought my install of ZA was clean - It was done after a reinstall of the OS (although not reformatting the HD). As far as I know I didn't pick up any settings from before, but if reinstalling it (and going through the permissions thing again for every program I actually use on the net) would solve the problem, I'd be tempted to go for that.

I wonder where all the settings are saved...

DS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information