Thread: Cannot Access Internet HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP blocked

Hybrid View

tim5755 Guest

Unhappy Cannot Access Internet HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP blocked

I did a trial of Zone Alarm Internet Security, and the day after I paid and signed up for the full version, may system was attacked. Now I cannot login into the internet. HTTP, HTTPS and FTP are blocked. Email (via Outlook express) works fine.
    Somehow the “Antispyware Plus” malware was downloaded to my PC (could have been through kids clicking allow on ZA) and the system went nuts. It looks like ZA was shutdown somehow (only my wife and I knew the password for ZA) because I had 15-20 of the Windows little red shields with an “X” (system unprotected warning) in the bottom right had corner of my desktop when I found it. I ran ZA and I think it found a couple of things. Did not record the details. I also ran a tool called SUPER antispyware and it found several things (screen shot attached).
    After this the browser fails to connect to the internet, says it must be a firewall problem. I tried to shutdown ZA and rebooted, no joy. Uninstalled ZA (via control panel remove) and rebooted, still no joy. Not sure what to try next. Not real impressed with ZA so far!!
    Runnng XP Home Edition, SP3, IE8.

Default Re: Cannot Access Internet HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP blocked

Try this:

Malware Clean-up Guidance
    NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (version 9.1.507 onwards). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Super Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    2. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    3. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    4. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to default Quick scan

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

A. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running (you can change the .exe into a .com)
    B. Use the superantispyware online cleaning tool --> Here or download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running.

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

For a final check that your PC is clean run Hitman Pro cloud scanning (the scanner is free not the cleaning)

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to Bleepingcomputer or SpywareHammer

Once you have cleaned the system please remember to purge the windows system restore points. You may be reinfected otherwise.
    - Disable system restore (How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE);
    - Reboot the PC
    - Re-ensable system restore
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by tim5755 View Post
    I did a trial of Zone Alarm Internet Security, and the day after I paid and signed up for the full version, may system was attacked. Now I cannot login into the internet. HTTP, HTTPS and FTP are blocked. Email (via Outlook express) works fine.
    Somehow the “Antispyware Plus” malware was downloaded to my PC (could have been through kids clicking allow on ZA) and the system went nuts. It looks like ZA was shutdown somehow (only my wife and I knew the password for ZA)Runnng XP Home Edition, SP3, IE8.
    Here is some additional information for Famolies allowing Kids access to the Internet..

Control your child’s Internet access

3/22/2008

Keeping children safe is a parent's most important job. The Internet doesn’t always make that job easy. Thankfully, Microsoft is offering free tools through Windows Live.
    The package is Windows Live OneCare Family Safety. It lets you control your children’s surfing. You can also control their online communications through instant messaging and e-mail. You decide with whom they can communicate.To get started with Family Safety, you’ll need a Windows Live ID. Each of your children will also need Windows Live IDs. You and your children must log in to use the Internet. You’ll be instructed to create these IDs while setting up the software.
    Download the free software from the Family Safety Web site. Just click the “Get started” button. Follow the instructions to install the software. An icon will be installed in the notification area of the desktop.
    Control the Internet
    To begin, right-click the Family Safety icon. Select “Go to Family Safety website.” You’ll adjust all settings from this Web site.
    Children and adults must each have a profile. Windows Live IDs are included in the profiles. Each profile has its own settings.

Click on this Link for more information..
    GeorgeV

tim5755 Guest

Unhappy Re: Cannot Access Internet HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP blocked

Thanks for the steps, but I have a problem. I uninstalled ZA from my system thinking it had my internet protocols locked down. Also, I have no way to get to the internet to download any other antivirus or antispyware from this PC. I have no way to reinstall ZA, unless you know of a way to save these to another PC (i have a laptop) and move them over via thuimb drive and install. Any advice?

Please Contact ZA Tech Support Live Chat Directly (Free of charge for users of the Paid Zone Alarm)

Click Support link in my Signature..
    GeorgeV

ZA Support does not support this or do manual virus removal.

You must use a pc with internet access and download the malware bytes free version and install on the infected PC as Guru georveV has outlined above.

Forum Moderator

tim5755 Guest

I downloaded the latest requested products and ran them on the infected PC. Both in safe mode and in normal mode. Nothing was found.
    I ran ZA when this first happened (which found little), then ran Superantivirus (same as requested above), which found several things. My PC is still unable to access the internet. I bought ZA to stop just this kind of thing from happening, so far it has not.
    I am afraid ZA has locked down my PC from the attack. Is this possible? if so what can be donw to correct it?

Quote Originally Posted by tim5755 View Post
    I downloaded the latest requested products and ran them on the infected PC. Both in safe mode and in normal mode. Nothing was found.
    I ran ZA when this first happened (which found little), then ran Superantivirus (same as requested above), which found several things. My PC is still unable to access the internet. I bought ZA to stop just this kind of thing from happening, so far it has not.
    I am afraid ZA has locked down my PC from the attack. Is this possible? if so what can be donw to correct it?

Unfortunately, it looks like your ZA Security Suite on your WinXP SP3 computer may have been corrupted or compromised While your Kids were surfing the Internet with un-restricted Access, and the ability to Allow Download install and bypass ZA Popup Alerts warnings..

Ultimately you should Re-Configure Windows XP to Restrict Internet Access privilages to your Kids by setting up Seperate Login Accounts..

- Corrupted ZA installation
    - Corrupted ZA settings
    - Running multiple security tools that may conflict with ZA
    - OS damaged or overloaded or few RAM available
    - Infections from malware

Ultimately you can Check with technical support Live Chat link when they are Online.

At this time, I'm not sure if a Complete Uninstall and Re-install of ZA Suite and not changing any of the default setting will help you are not, you can try the following:

The simplest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 4th, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

Thread Information