Thread: ZA ignoring updates set to NO

papamiller Guest

Default ZA ignoring updates set to NO

ZA is killing my computer any time it updates or scans. I turned off updates everyplace I can find them, but yet ZA still updates.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.507.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.507.000
    Driver version:9.1.503.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1018595712
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.149.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.114
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.080
    Last edited by papamiller; May 22nd, 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: ZA ignoring updates set to NO

Hi!
    rather than turning off updates you should find out the origin of the problem, otherwise better to shift product rather than turning off ZA. It is a major security issue that can open up you to all series of malware infections.

As a test try to run only ZA and standard MS software and see if you experience any difference. You don't post the OS so I am forced to write up OS information.

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA/Win7) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA/Win7)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

The above could give you already some hints to the problem. If you still have problems. Keep the selective boot but reset the settings.... note that on first boot and first few updates ZA may be slower due to the amount of data to be downloaded.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Anyway, I would personally contact the ZA official support at the link in my signature (we are all users here) for a proper troubleshooting (contact them during the week) and refund if not resolved.

Cheers,
    Fax
    P.S. Updates are under the ZA preferences (product) and under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antipsyware section (AV/AS updates).
    Last edited by fax; May 23rd, 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

papamiller Guest

I haven't tried your solution yet, but I think part of the problem is, ZA loses its settings. From time to time, right after boot-up, ZA finds a new network. It's the same network it originally found during setup.

So why is it ZA continues to tell me it found a new network? I have ZA installed on two machines, and I get the same behavior.

BTW: the OS is WIN XP Pro

-paul

Hi!

yes, I have seen this on some machine especially if the system (for a reason or another) hangs/crash. Probably the best is to revert to ZA 9.1.008.000 and wait for the next bug fix version.

Fax

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by papamiller View Post
    I haven't tried your solution yet, but I think part of the problem is, ZA loses its settings. From time to time, right after boot-up, ZA finds a new network. It's the same network it originally found during setup.

So why is it ZA continues to tell me it found a new network? I have ZA installed on two machines, and I get the same behavior.

BTW: the OS is WIN XP Pro
    l
    The "new network found" is a known issue that many people are experiencing. It began with the version 9 family of product and is the subject of several threads in these forums. You get used to it after a while.

Here is a workaround that one member discovered works for him. Instead of using the white interface that pops up at reboot (which is new to version 9), he used the yellow "network wizard" (which was present by default in versions 8 and earlier, but can be accessed in version 9 as explained below) to make his settings, and he says that the white popup has not recurred and that ZA remembers his network. He says the Network Wizard will automatically appear as a yellow popup in the lower right corner if you ignore and close the white "new network" screen. Then you have to choose the zone "Trusted" or "Internet" whichever is appropriate for your purposes and safety. Here is his post telling how to do it:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...114#post279114

I haven't tried it. You'll have to decide if that's appropriate for you.

You can also adjust settings in the Firewall|Main|Advanced tab, where you can configure ZA how to handle all new networks under "Network Settings". . I hesitate to tell people to use that unless they are very experienced, since I don't know if they have a laptop that goes back and forth from a secure to insecure environment, and if it would put them at risk if they forget to change it when they leave the home environment, etc.. I don't know the answer to that. If computers never leave home, that might be considered another workaround. I've gotten so used to the "new network" white popup that I can blitz thru it in two seconds, so it really doesn't bother me anymore. The Network Wizard method explained at the link above, however, may be the best solution if it consistently works for others.
    Last edited by critterjoe; June 6th, 2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Clarity

papamiller Guest

Cool Disable Updates...

Hey Fax, I am a licensed owner of ZA security suite and I have a serious problem with the product.

First off, you said I should contact support...I tried that. Despite what their website says, 24/7, I get server timed out error when initializing a chat. So much for support.

I would like to know why when I disable updates, now ZA shuts down? Updates slows my computer to a point where it's unusable. I want to control updates. Plus, when I disable all updates, it updates anyway.

Please explain to me why this should happen.

Thanks

Default Re: Disable Updates...

Sorry you have problems with ZA suite. You can disable antivirus updates under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware section and UNcheck "Enable automatic antivirus updates". You can disable product updates under the preferences of the ZA overview section (check on 'manually'). If this does not work your ZA has corrupted settings or your system does not allow ZA to work correctly.

By disabling updates you are seriously undermining the security of your system (antivirus signature are released every hour or less). Better you move to another product if you do not manage to make it work corretly.

ZA official support live chat works perfectly fine. Just tested it. The fact that it does not work at your end points to further issue on your PC. It can depend on many different factors: malware infection, corrupted OS, hosts file blocking the chat server, etc.

I am sorry we are all users here and we can't really replace the official support that you should anyway try to contact in order to properly troubleshoot the issue. You may need to reinstall your system and OS to recover some of the functionality you seem you have lost.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; July 17th, 2010 at 05:18 AM.

Thread Information