Thread: ZoneAlarm prompted me to install a SP2 update Hotfix 1st before installling

Hybrid View

wazel45 Guest

Default ZoneAlarm prompted me to install a SP2 update Hotfix 1st before installling

Hello,

First time user here.

So i download the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version 9.2 installer .exe a few minutes ago and clicked on it; the first thing it prompts me to do is install this windows Hotfix update (for SP2 I believe they mentioned) in order to go through with the installation. So i accept and it asks for a reboot.

On logging in, it took a longer time loading onto the desktop than usual, it stayed loading for a while right after I typed in my password (windows XP) and I thought "Hmmm maybe it hanged-up". I wait a few minutes later and the computer logs in. Turns out that ZoneAlarm had already set up my computer (right after that Hotfix installation & reboot) to automatically pop up the installation wizard (the taskbar/start menu hasn't even loaded yet) right after I log-in.

And also, after dowloading the installation .exe, I back page a few times into the download page:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm

then my computer says something about the script on the page being busy or not being able to load completely and asks me if I wanted to continue loading the page or not, and it also pops into my download window simultaniously.

So a little concern of mine is has anybody else experienced these? Its just that my computer has been behaving a little suspiciously (e.g. changing my file view settings from Tiles to List, saving files that I am unaware of to the Documents and Settings folder that usually just has the All Users, Free User folders in it); I didnt expect this to happen during the firewall installation.

Just a little suspicious maybe its a malware screwing around trying to take over security softwares before they install completely/ properly maybe?... Seems a little suspicious to me.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm prompted me to install a SP2 update Hotfix 1st before installling

ZA free 9.2. is a new release, so I have not seen reports liek yours so far.
    Main question is, have you rebooted? Does it work correctly after all? Not clear from your message.

Btw, you should update to SP3. There has been literarely hudreds of vulnerability fixed since SP2.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wazel45 Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm prompted me to install a SP2 update Hotfix 1st before installling

It does definitely work correctly from the way it looks. And i have done all the rebooting necessary when it has asked me to.

I haven't updated to Sp3, but that Hotfix did do the trick; got me to the installation process right after the reboot no problem.

Its just during the installation and after, as I have described, that gets me a little suspicuious. I didnt expect those two things. So I wanted to hear some feedback of people having similar experiences or from someone knowledgable. But as you said ver. 9.2 is a new release so......

[QUOTE=wazel45;279488]It does definitely work correctly from the way it looks. And i have done all the rebooting necessary when it has asked me to.

I haven't updated to Sp3, but that Hotfix did do the trick; got me to the installation process right after the reboot no problem.

QUOTE]

Microsoft Ends Win XP SP2 Support
    UPDATE Windows XP to SP3 Now...

As of July 13, 2010, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP SP2,

However Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Microsoft will probably continue to issue important security updates for a couple more years.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by wazel45 View Post
    It does definitely work correctly from the way it looks. And i have done all the rebooting necessary when it has asked me to.

Its just during the installation and after, as I have described, that gets me a little suspicuious. I didnt expect those two things. So I wanted to hear some feedback of people having similar experiences or from someone knowledgable. But as you said ver. 9.2 is a new release so......
    Indeed so will see if it is normal... may be just an install quirck...
    Keep monitoring and let us know.

I am moving this thread in the newly dedicated section for ZAfree.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 24th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information