Thread: Problem installing ZA free firewall V9

pachinko Guest

Default Problem installing ZA free firewall V9

Dell Latitude D620 laptop / Windows XP Pro SP3
    Wave Embassy Security software with TPM, preboot authentication, etc.

I was running the free ZA firewall V8 on my laptop and, aside from the annoying nag popup, it was working reasonably well.

Yesterday I uninstalled it and then installed the latest V92 and it has totally screwed up everything. When it is installed and running the laptop cannot communicate with the outside. If I try to connect to the internet the browser just gives up. I cannot connect to other computers in the network either. If I ping another computer the window freezes for 90 seconds and then the ping response comes in successful reporting a delay of only miliseconds. Somehow ZA is delaying the process.

If I remove ZA then everything is fine.

In the process of reinstalling and removing ZA several times other things have become corrupted or had a conflict with ZA. As Zonealarm was not working correctly I tried installing Comodo firewall but that was not working correctly either so I removed it. At some points the computer would not boot and I had to return to the last good known configuration which seemed to corrupt other things. At this point I have spent many hours with this mess and just wish I could return to the way things were 24 hours ago but that seems hopeless as the system is all messed up now.

I do not want to be without a firewall. What is my best bet now? Try to get V9 to work? Try to return to V8?

Default Re: Problem installing ZA free firewall V9

May be there was a problem in the install (incomplete) or previous ZA did not remove correctly.

I would try to use the ZA removal tool first to be sure no ZA files are on the system. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Double check for ZA left overs (check for files and folders):
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm install program (XP/2000)

Backup your system and try again. If it still fails you system may have some specific conflicts with the new version of ZA. Just move back to your previous ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information