Thread: Installing other programs

x64 Guest

Default Installing other programs

Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded the trial of ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. I installed it on a 32bit XP Pro with service pack 1 with the printer drivers
    previously installed. Everything is cool. But I told the user if they installed any software thereafter to leave ZA on, Was this kosher ?

This time I'm on Vista Ultimate 64bit and curious about installing software while leaving ZA on. Before, everytime I installed software I would turn other programs off, especially AV.

I plan to purchase ZAES for my sister's wireless connection (she has XP Pro) but depending on how vista handles the resources with ZA I may move her to vista.
    I'm wired to ethernet and I'm testing it on 32bit xp pro, vista ultimate 64 and 32bit from this computer which has swappable hard-drives with different OS's.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Smile Re: Installing other programs

Quote Originally Posted by x64 View Post
    Hi,

1.) Yesterday I downloaded the trial of ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. I installed it on a 32bit XP Pro with service pack 1 with the printer drivers
    previously installed. Everything is cool. But I told the user if they installed any software thereafter to leave ZA on, Was this kosher ?

1.) Reply: It is not kosher..
    While it looks like you installed OK, Zone Alarm for WinXP was designed for SP2 & SP3 on Win XP..

Also, Microsoft Ends Win XP SP2 Support
    Please UPDATE Windows XP to SP3 Now...

As of July 13, 2010, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP SP2,

However Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Microsoft will probably continue to issue important security updates for a couple more years.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win....aspx?os=WinXP

2.) This time I'm on Vista Ultimate 64bit and curious about installing software while leaving ZA on. Before, everytime I installed software I would turn other programs off, especially AV.

2.) Reply: It is safe to leave ZA ON..

The simplest procedure is to :

Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZAAV, ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, some Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

3.) I plan to purchase ZAES for my sister's wireless connection (she has XP Pro) but depending on how vista handles the resources with ZA I may move her to vista.
    I'm wired to ethernet and I'm testing it on 32bit xp pro, vista ultimate 64 and 32bit from this computer which has swappable hard-drives with different OS's.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
    Just for further information..

ZA 9.1 is Now Windows 7 32/64bit compatible
    Also compatible with XP 32bit (Sp2 & SP3)and Vista 32/64bit

PS: Zone Alarm is no longer Compatible with Win Server 2003 code base OS,
    and No longer compatible with Win9X,ME, SE or Win2000..

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

ZoneAlarm does not support ZoneAlarm installations on Servers operating systems at this time.
    ZoneAlarm was designed specifically for Client Applications on an Endpoint machine.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

x64 Guest

Default Re: Installing other programs

Sorry, I meant service pack 2 on the xp machines. Is it ok to install software with ZA on ?

Thanks for the info George.
    Last edited by x64; June 3rd, 2010 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by x64 View Post
    Sorry, I meant service pack 2 on the xp machines. Is it ok to install software with ZA on ?

Thanks for the info George.

Yes it is safe to install other software with ZA AV, ZASS, ZA Extreme ON..

as long as the other software, does not contain another Firewall or Anti-Virus..

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

x64 Guest

Thanks............................................ ........

Your Welcome..

Thread Information