Thread: ZA Pro can't close Port 135

Hybrid View

DonNadie Guest

Default ZA Pro can't close Port 135

Windows XP Pro SP3 up-to-date
    ZoneAlarm Pro 9.0.083.000/9.1.008.000 (per ZA Tech Support recommendation; excessive disk activity with ver. 9.1.507.000)

Please show some mercy as I'm not a network security expert. Thanks.

I've checked for open ports from time to time at ShieldsUP!, http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 (Perhaps this URL varies dynamically; I don't know). It used to report all of the 1056 Service Ports in what they call "Stealth Mode", which is supposed to be as good as it gets.

Suddenly, I find that Port 135 is open. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. I've been adding new programs over time, so one of them may be responsible for this change.

In ZoneAlarm Pro, I opened the Control Center and selected Firewall->Main. Then in Custom Firewall Settings, I scrolled to the bottom and added Port 135 to Block incoming UDP ports, Block outgoing UDP ports, Block incoming TCP ports and Block outgoing TCP ports. Then I clicked "Apply". Now I see, for example, "Block incoming TCP ports: 135", but Port 135 is still open.

I can see that when I open a command window and type netstat -an. The first line returned by the netstat command reads TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING.

I tried disabling the DCOM service, but that screwed up 3 of my programs.

My questions: 1.) Should I be concerned? 2.) If I should be concerned, can I close Port 135 without disabling DCOM and messing up some of my programs?

TIA.
    Last edited by DonNadie; June 5th, 2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: very minor correction

Default Re: ZA Pro can't close Port 135

already answered in this Forum Link..

http://forum.zonealarm.com/showthrea...ght=close+Port

Quote Originally Posted by DonNadie View Post
    I can see that when I open a command window and type netstat -an. The first line returned by the netstat command reads TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING.TIA.
    This is normal, 0.0.0.0 is your system listening to itself. No external open doors.
    If instead grc says your 135 is open then try to UNcheck "allow broadcast/multicast" in the internet zone.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

DonNadie Guest

Default Re: ZA Pro can't close Port 135 [SOLVED]

Thanks GeorgeV. The "already answered" link you provided worked for me. I used the solution provided by TheWall92 in that link, namely:

For "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services", i block "trusted" and "internet" in the Server column.

For others like me who know nothing about this stuff, you get there in the ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center by selecting Program Control->Programs, then scroll down to the "Generic Host Process . . . " row.

The 3 programs that I had problems with when I disabled DCOM services are working OK with this solution.

All's well that ends well.

Thank you for Your Feedback..

have a good Weekend..

zaswing Guest

Be careful about disabling DCOM service. I got burned on that once and was scratching my head for hours.
    You may find that the installer of various programs doesn't work. The installer name is InstallShield. So if you see that it is needed and some installation fails, enable the DCOM service back. Or just keep it enabled and, as mentioned above, don't let svchost (Generic...) internet server rights. Those NetBIOS ports should be restricted to your trusted LAN and nowhere else.

Thread Information