Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA Internet Suite and Windows 7

jtejasrgv Guest

Default ZA Internet Suite and Windows 7

I have been a long time satisfied user of Zone Alarm. However, back in Feb I had to buy a new laptop (Dell Vostro 32-bit) which came with windows 7. I was able to install my previous copy of ZA internet suite v. 9.1.008 successfully. But off and on I have had problems with windows downloads even tho' I had the windows firewall turned off. So I decided to upgrade to the next version which was 9.1.507. It never installed and at the same time it crashed my internet connection. I did a system restore but never could get the previous version of Za (008 to execute. I'm now trying to install the latest version 9.1.603 but after I accept the license agreement it goes away and never comes back. Ditto for 9.1.507. I have run the removal tool, but it never tells me if it has done anything and the one directory that the installation does create is still present. I have chatted with the ZA folks for 2 days now, but can't seem to get into their system today. I'm about ready to give up on ZA after all these years. Can any body help? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: ZA Internet Suite and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by jtejasrgv View Post
    I have been a long time satisfied user of Zone Alarm. However, back in Feb I had to buy a new laptop (Dell Vostro 32-bit) which came with windows 7. I was able to install my previous copy of ZA internet suite v. 9.1.008 successfully. But off and on I have had problems with windows downloads even tho' I had the windows firewall turned off. So I decided to upgrade to the next version which was 9.1.507. It never installed and at the same time it crashed my internet connection. I did a system restore but never could get the previous version of Za (008 to execute. I'm now trying to install the latest version 9.1.603 but after I accept the license agreement it goes away and never comes back. Ditto for 9.1.507. I have run the removal tool, but it never tells me if it has done anything and the one directory that the installation does create is still present. I have chatted with the ZA folks for 2 days now, but can't seem to get into their system today. I'm about ready to give up on ZA after all these years. Can any body help? Thanks in advance!

I had ZA Suite 9.1.507.000 (Now 9.1.603.000) installed on Windows 7 Home premium 32-Bit with no problems..

Question, did your Dell computer come with Pre-installed 3rd party Trial Security Suite programs (Norton/McAfee) if so they must be fully Removed before Installing Zone alarm..

It looks like your Upgrade Install may Have been Corrupted durring Download or install proccess.
    The Best Fix for this problem is to Uninstall the Corrupte Version.. and download a fresh copy of ZA 9.x and do a Clean re-install.

The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZAAV, ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recomended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, some Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 10th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jtejasrgv Guest

Hi George,

Thanks for the info. I did have some trial version, but thought I had removed it. I will double check again and try the other things you suggested. Will let you know how it comes out - later this evening.

From Bastrop, Tx

Thanks for your Feedback..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 11th, 2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

jtejasrgv Guest

Sorry to report that I have had no success with installing ZA. I did finally get to chat with tech support. Did everything you and he told me to, but have the same problem. It just goes away after the license screen. I had the firewall turned off and ms security essentials disabled. Ran an admin. Still no luck. Guess I'm calling for a refund today.

Thanks for your assistance.

Your Welcome..

Sorry ZA did not install for you..

two options left..

1.) Contact Tech Support Live chat again with further feedback to them..
    with the possibility of another solution?

2.) Click on Customer Support link in my Signature and ask for refund?

Good Luck..
    GeorgeV

There is a third option which will fix your issue.

Since everything has been tried to fix ZA its probably not not a ZA issue.

Its either a conflict with old security software on your PC even if you uninstalled, it still there, especially what Dell put on there PC's.

Or its an OS issue.

I would suggest backing up any data you want to keep and format and reinstall the OS. Now knowing how dell works they will install all the extra apps they ship with probably including the security software.

It either Mcafee or Symantec. Both companies have a special uninstaller application you can download from them and it will remove all traces of there software off the PC.

At that point ZA will install fine.

jtejasrgv Guest

Have spend more hours with the tech chat forks, to no avail. I have asked for a refund, but they claim they only give them in the 1st 30 days. I bought a 2 year license a year ago and have about 300 days left on it. But they also claim they only sell 1 year licenses.

Anyway, as to the reinstallation of the OS. Not happening! No other AV came with this laptop. Also I installed the version 9.1.008 of ZASS from my old pc back in Feb and things worked until I tried to the update v. 9.1.507. So I'm not sure it's an OS problem. That attempted installation may have changed something in the OS which is now preventing any further installations. The question is WHAT. Seems to me it's still a Zone Alarm problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jtejasrgv View Post
    Have spend more hours with the tech chat forks, to no avail. I have asked for a refund, but they claim they only give them in the 1st 30 days. I bought a 2 year license a year ago and have about 300 days left on it. But they also claim they only sell 1 year licenses.

Anyway, as to the reinstallation of the OS. Not happening! No other AV came with this laptop. Also I installed the version 9.1.008 of ZASS from my old pc back in Feb and things worked until I tried to the update v. 9.1.507. So I'm not sure it's an OS problem. That attempted installation may have changed something in the OS which is now preventing any further installations. The question is WHAT. Seems to me it's still a Zone Alarm problem.
    I'm Sorry that your still incountering an Install problem..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

There are over 1 Million Paid users of Zone Alarm, and 99.9% never have a problem that cause them to Post in this User Forum or contact Tech Support.

A.) "There is a third option which will fix your issue.

Since everything has been tried to fix ZA its probably not a ZA issue"

Option 3 or Restore from a Previous Good Full HDD Backup would Solve your problem..

B.) since your have waited too long to request a Refund, and Un-willing to try Option 3, Here is another possible Option that I have not seen answered by you?

C.) Option 4: Malware Clean-up Guidance

NOTE: Malware can Block Security Software from Installing, the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (version 9.1.507 onwards). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. (*** Skip Steps 1-6) if you can's use Zone Alarm AV)

1. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Super Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    2. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    3. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    4. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to default Quick scan

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

A. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running (you can change the .exe into a .com)
    B. Use the superantispyware online cleaning tool --> Here or download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running.

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

For a final check that your PC is clean run Hitman Pro cloud scanning (the scanner is free not the cleaning)

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to Bleepingcomputer or SpywareHammer

Once you have cleaned the system please remember to purge the windows system restore points. You may be reinfected otherwise.
    - Disable system restore (How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE);
    - Reboot the PC
    - Re-ensable system restore
    GeorgeV

jtejasrgv Guest

Hi George,

Thanks again for your good advise. Let me add some tidbits to help explain my situation.
    When I made the first attempt to update my version of ZASS (9.1.008), the installed for 9.1.507 mostly uninstalled the old version. Consequently, I have no version of ZASS to try you first option. Plus, that error install cratered my internet connection. However, the system restore that I did from about a week prior returned the internet connection. But I no longer had any ZASS protection and had to resort to Windows firewall and MS security essentials. Anyway, for the last install I tried of 9.1.603, I booted up in safe mode with networking. That didn't get any further than the license screen either. My feeling is that there may be some sort of conflict with Win 7 Pro (my OS), ZASS, and maybe even Dell's stuff (this laptop is a Dell Vostro). I believe reloading my entire system is overkill - when the problem could be a single flag set somewhere or the lack of a permission. But, I will do the malware check, even tho' I have never encountered a malware on my previous laptop using ZASS.

Thanks again,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information