Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WORKAROUND] ZA Suite 6.1.603 Browser security off -> Install with default settings

potterd Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] ZA Suite 6.1.603 Browser security off -> Install with default settings

I have experienced the following issues with installation of 6/1/603 on Windows XP:

1) During install following the first restart, the desktop displays too quickly. The first restart does not become elongated as usually happens with a new ZA install indicating that some normal setup processing may have not have occurred.

2) Following each restart the Browser Security is not active and cannot be enabled under Browser Security settings. It is necessary to use the "Fix It" button under the Overview panel to activate and then the same condition exists after the next restart. However, If ZA is shutdown manually and restarted, Browser Security is active and the problem is not experienced.

Common to both issues is processing that is occurring when the system is being restarted. Clean Uninstall and Re-install does not correct the issue and Database Reset also does not correct the issue.

I would be pleased to hear any suggestions regarding how to correct these issues.
    Last edited by fax; June 14th, 2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: title

Default Re: ZA Internet Security Suite 6.1.603 not starting correctly

Hi!

please specify what you mean for clean install and reset. Also detail if it ever worked correctly. Running other security/registry tools? List them.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

potterd Guest

Clean uninstall refers to uninstalling using the standard ZA uninstall program with the "/clean" option. Reset refers to holding dlown CTRL and Shift keys , right clicking on the ZA icon in the taskbar and selecting Reset.

No other Security software is running on this system. Ace Utilities Registry Cleaner has been used between installs to attempt to resolve any possible registry problems, and has not helped.

I have not used Browser Security in previous releases due to the fact that they were too buggy. I'm going to try to install 9.1.008 later today to see if it has the same problems during install. ZA has a typical pattern of very long restart (several minutes) during the first restart during the install and this is not occurring with this release on this computer, and I suspect that the installation itself is not occurring correctly. I have installed 9.1.603 on my other Windows XP computers and it is working fine.

Regards,

Hi!
    First do not run anymore that registry utility, they usually do more damage than fixing issues....

Then try this:

1. Run registry editor and delete key: {93711F64-F9D7-4f1d-B013-21E88CB69D8A} from this locations:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Stats
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Settings
    2. Manually delete #ISW.FS# folder from C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming.
    3. Enable "Browser Security" in ZoneAlarm GUI.

If the above fails try a full removal of your ZASS using the ZA removal tool combined with manually check no left overs have been left in the system:

First remove ZASS with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator):
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Double check that all ZA related files/folders are gone:

1.) Restart your computer
    2.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    3.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    4.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    5.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    6.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs --> ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.

7.) Close this window
    8.) Click Start, My Computer
    9.) Double Click the C:
    10.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    11.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    12.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    14.) Click Start, Computer
    15.) Double Click C:
    16.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    17.) Double Click the Checkpoint Folder
    18.) Right click onZAForceField folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    19.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start --> Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

20.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start --> Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

21.) Empty your recycle bin.
    22.) Restart the computer.

23). Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.com
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

24). Re-download the ZASS installer
    http://www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload

25). Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.

potterd Guest

I now have a 2nd computer with this problem, so out of 3 computers, 1 is OK and the other 2 exhibit the problem where the browser security needs to be fixed after each restart.

The interesting thing is the relationship between when the ZA release was installed and when the 6/8 Microsoft updates were applied. The 1 computer that is OK had ZA installed before the 6/8 Microsoft updates and the 2 computers with the problem had ZA installed after the Microsoft updates.

There were 20 updates applicable to my computers during the 6/8 Microsoft Update. Most were related to security.

If anyone has experienced this issue, please reply to this post - Thanks !

potterd Guest

Tested one of the bad computers by reimaging to a point in time before the Microsoft updates were installed, uninstalling the current version with a clean uninstall and then installing the 6.1.603 release. Still have the problem so I have confirmed that it is not related to the Microsoft updates.

There is definitely a startup problem with this release which causes the Browser security to be disabled until the "Fix It" button is pressed. I have experienced this on 2 out of 3 computers now. Please post if you are having this problem so that it is more likely to be fixed quickly.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by potterd View Post
    Tested one of the bad computers by reimaging to a point in time before the Microsoft updates were installed, uninstalling the current version with a clean uninstall and then installing the 6.1.603 release. Still have the problem so I have confirmed that it is not related to the Microsoft updates.

There is definitely a startup problem with this release which causes the Browser security to be disabled until the "Fix It" button is pressed. I have experienced this on 2 out of 3 computers now. Please post if you are having this problem so that it is more likely to be fixed quickly.

Thanks !
    Did you try what suggested? Are these systems having something in common? Especially a third party software booting at startup? (backup, utility, etc...)

I think its time you report the issue to the official ZA technical support to get the issue properly troubleshooted and if needed logged.

Link to support in my signature. They are closed on weekends.

Cheers,
    Fax

potterd Guest

I followed your instructions exactly. I have one computer that doesn't have the problem at all and two computers that do. With the two problem computers, I can successfully workaround the issue by disabling one or more of the 1st three "advanced Control" functions under Program Control.

~~ snip ~~

I would still encourage anyone who expereince the following problem to post:

Browser Security is disabled after startup - Must click "Fix It" to correct.

Regards,
    Last edited by fax; June 13th, 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: offtopic - please stick to the issue

Quote Originally Posted by potterd View Post
    I followed your instructions exactly. I have one computer that doesn't have the problem at all and two computers that do. With the two problem computers, I can successfully workaround the issue by disabling one or more of the 1st three "advanced Control" functions under Program Control.
    Which advanced program control functions? You mean the custom options under the ZA program control (main menu)? These are turned off by default and not really needed. Were those active at default install? If yes, then there is still something wrong in how you install ZA. Or you are talking about other programs?

If you do not follow up properly with ZA technical support it is unlikely this issue will be fixed moreover considering that I see so far only your post. Please also note that ZA does not monitor this board we are all users trying to help each other. So posting here will have no effect on the fix that needs to be properly logged by the developers

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 14th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.

potterd Guest

The 1st 3 Advanced controls are not active at install (these are the ones above the "Microsoft Catalog Utilization" control. I normally enable them and found that disabling these controls will function as a workaround for the problem.

I reported the problem to ZA Technical Support as follows:

info: Your Ticket ID for this chat is ~~snip~~
    Tonya: Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    David: Please report the follolwing problem to your developers. I have 3 computers and have experienced this problem on all 3:
    David: For the latest version 6.1.603, Browswer Security is disabled after restart. User must click "Fix It" to restore Browser Security. This problem occurs if one or more of the 1st 3 checkboxes are selected in the Advanced Controls section under Program Control.
    David: To resolve the problem, uncheck one or more of the 1st 3 check boxes in the Advanced Controls section under Program Control.
    David: Please ask your developers to resolve this issue before the next release is published.
    Tonya: I will pass it along to development.
    David: Thank you !

Appreciate your support, fax !
    Last edited by fax; June 16th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information