Thread: ZA on MAC and Corruption of the WSC repository

Hybrid View

legacykeeper Guest

Exclamation ZA on MAC and Corruption of the WSC repository

It's time to "upgrade" to WinXP, since support for Win2KPro is running out. But I can't get ZoneAlarmSecuritySuite - ANY version - to install in Windows XP. Install always hangs at zquarantine.dll. Such a mis-install is a total disaster without a prompt system restore, (which I always did) no matter what the software is.

I made the mistake of first installing Avast antivirus with a basic ZoneAlarm free firewall, for better update speed. Avast's fast auto-update once conflicted with Windows Update, crashing system - with lost clusters. (I did a prompt restore.)

I have used several registry cleaners to remove virtually every trace of Avast and other uninstalled programs from my system and registry. I even use one registry cleaner program which, though it can be dangerous if misused, it can delete "no permission to delete" legacy registry entries. (Even "RegAssassin" fails.) But I dare not edit the registry in the local machine-system-control set-control-session manager-app compatibility-start menu-bit buckets branch, which contain long binary values which include traces of the otherwise thoroughly cleansed Avast anti-virus and other uninstalled software. Yet, when I run XP's Security Center, XP still somehow detects the presence of Avast.

From the other posts I see here, it looks as if I have no choice but to cold-reinstall Windows XP. Perhaps a critical file got corrupted with those lost clusters, System Restore notwithstanding. I'm consoled somewhat to see here that ZoneLabs Security Suite is usable on Apple OS computers.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 17th, 2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: adjust Title

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Installation WinXP - zlquarantine.dll

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by legacykeeper View Post
    I'm consoled somewhat to see here that ZoneLabs Security Suite is usable on Apple OS computers.
    Note that ZA is not supported running on a Mac with Bootcamp or any program that allows windows to run on a Mac.

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...52&postcount=2

Quote Originally Posted by legacykeeper View Post
    Yet, when I run XP's Security Center, XP still somehow detects the presence of Avast.
    Use this tool:
    http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/secu...t-1-0-released

This has been posted many times before. Please use the search function available in this forum.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information