Thread: major problem with vsmon.exe

TsForum Guest

Default major problem with vsmon.exe

I have the lates security suite on win Xp pro Sp3

going to Task Manager and displaying I/O write bytes I see that vsmon writes approximately 10GB per hour. This is a huge problem because I use SSD and I cannot wear out the solid state drive so quickly for no reasons.

I tried to disable antivirus/antispyware and it is off but the problem remains.
    There is just no way to find out why this firewall keeps writing so much on the hard drive. Any answer? Do I need to quit ZA once for all and change firewall?

Default Re: major problem with vsmon.exe

Quote Originally Posted by TsForum View Post
    I have the lates security suite on win Xp pro Sp3

going to Task Manager and displaying I/O write bytes I see that vsmon writes approximately 10GB per hour. This is a huge problem because I use SSD and I cannot wear out the solid state drive so quickly for no reasons.

I tried to disable antivirus/antispyware and it is off but the problem remains.
    There is just no way to find out why this firewall keeps writing so much on the hard drive. Any answer? Do I need to quit ZA once for all and change firewall?

How to Fix some VSMON.EXE Errors...
    vsmon errors may be due to ZA database corruption or conflicts with running third party applications.

Did you experienced PC hangs, crashes or cold shutdown (improper shutdown) recently?

If yes, your ZA may be corrupted and you may need to reset it. click the link below to See here how to do it:

============================================

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Did you updated any software in your computer or installed new software recently?

The new update or the new software may conflict with ZA and cause this issue.

In this case you should try to update the latest version of ZASS (9.1.603.000) and see if you still are experiencing the problem.

You can download the latest ZASS installer here:

http://www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

TsForum Guest

After looking the forum and wasted hours I understood that the problem might be fixed in the very latest release that just came up.
    I installed it 9.1.603 and the problem seems fixed but I lost two hours because ZA took hours to "stabilize" during this time right after a fresh installation the entire computer was so slow that the OS installation appeared damaged.
    ZA should advise customer that the PC might be crippled for an hour and this super slow pc behavior is "normal".
    It was so bad that I reinstalled ZA three times thinking that the installation failed!!

After looking the forum and wasted hours I understood that the problem might be fixed in the very latest release that just came up.
    I installed it 9.1.603 and the problem seems fixed but I lost two hours because ZA took hours to "stabilize" during this time right after a fresh installation the entire computer was so slow that the OS installation appeared damaged.
    ZA should advise customer that the PC might be crippled for an hour and this super slow pc behavior is "normal".
    It was so bad that I reinstalled ZA three times thinking that the installation failed!!
    Thank you for your Feedback..

two things occur during a Clean install or Fresh install of ZAAV/ZASS/ZA Extreme Security.
    and there is a Pop-up Screen Notice during the Install of this process that may requires some time to interrogate your computers and stablilize..

1.) First time Scan is a Full Blown Deep Scan, that depending on the Speed and Resources available on your Computer, may take several hours to complete, then it switched the Scan option to a Default Minimal Scan Option for the next time a Scan is Needed..

2.) If you have a Fresh or Clean Install, Zone Alarm Implements a 21 Day Leaning Mode to lean and configure program Access privileges on your Computer.. This feature has been in the last 10 or so Versions of Zone Alarm.. and the Leaning Mode can Be Turned Off manually..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 27th, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
    GeorgeV

TsForum Guest

Thank You for your prompt reply.

1) How can I turn it off manually? I've been looking for it. I recall that when I installed I asked not to configure automatically, just maximum security from start while he giving me suggestions and letting me the choice.

2) This morning it took 25 minutes to start while last night was finally ok. Looking into why I found out that I left the internet disconnected. This computer has always been slow with internet disconnected. I connected the cable rebooted and it is finally fine. Question: I suspect that without ZA I wouldn't have this problem and I am tempted to save the configuration I have (which is from the fresh installation, to save later time) uninstall ZA entirely and look what happens with the cable disconnected. Then reinstall it reloading the backed-up configuration. Any suggestion? Is a waste of time? Are yo interested in the feedback?
    Regards

Thank You for your prompt reply.

1) How can I turn it off manually? I've been looking for it. I recall that when I installed I asked not to configure automatically, just maximum security from start while he giving me suggestions and letting me the choice.

Sorry, I assumed that you looked at the List of Configuration Options on the Left side of the ZA Control Menu..

Click Program Control / Main tab

at the Top is Program Control, move the Slider to the top MAXIMUM..
    The AUTO-Learn setting is for the 21 day learning Mode..

Smart Defense Advisor should be in AUTO setting..

---------------------

The Program control / Program tab List all the programs that are Controled by Zone Alarm..

2) This morning it took 25 minutes to start while last night was finally ok. Looking into why I found out that I left the internet disconnected. This computer has always been slow with internet disconnected. I connected the cable rebooted and it is finally fine. Question: I suspect that without ZA I wouldn't have this problem and I am tempted to save the configuration I have (which is from the fresh installation, to save later time) uninstall ZA entirely and look what happens with the cable disconnected. Then reinstall it reloading the backed-up configuration. Any suggestion? Is a waste of time? Are yo interested in the feedback?
    Regards
    2.) The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security updates
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite updates
    ZoneAlarm Pro firewall updates
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus updates
    ZoneAlarm free updates

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 28th, 2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

TsForum Guest

Thank You for your support. I must say that alhough these problems are not welcome, the support is great and ZA, despite I have other protection tools, is probably the main reason I never got infected in 15 years despite intense use.

I did everything as you explained.
    Everything finally works fine but I use manual settings because I prefer to prevent access to many of the programs normally considered safe.

The only things that remain, and it is minor at this point is that when I start the computer without internet connection the computer is very slow and the start up is slowed down significantly, actually too much. This is acceptable for me because I am always connected but it is a problem and it is really due to ZA. When I disable it I don't have this problem.
    Don't you think it should be fixed?
    If the cable is disconnected the software should not enter uselessly timeout and slow down the computer (it is an assumption I am making to explain the phenomena) and should be reported that the internet connection is not available. I remember I had the same identical problem in the company where I was working in which the virtual IP software also was by CheckPoint and the company was not using zonealarm and only McAfee.
    It is annoying as a problem because my computer is portable and sometime I use it as portable without internet access.
    Regards

Don't you think it should be fixed?
    Regards
    Hi!
    ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users here. You need to contact the official ZA technical support and troubleshoot with them the issue. This way you will make them aware of the issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

TsForum Guest

Thank You!
    you have been so good that I thought was ZA support!
    thank you so much for helping me resolving the major problem and save me days of pain.
    I'll take the remaining problem to ZA support.
    Ciao
    Giovanni

Thread Information