Thread: Just updated Java...all kinds of warnings from ZA now

Dazed and confused Guest

Default Just updated Java...all kinds of warnings from ZA now

I finally updated to Firefox 3.6 and had to update my java as a result. Now I get all kinds of access requests from Java that I never had before. What is Java (TM) Quick Starter Binary, Java Scheduler, etc, and is it safe to deny it? I've been denying all java access requests unless I'm on a site (such as a gaming site) that requires java to function. I'm hoping malware didn't get slipped in when I updated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Just updated Java...all kinds of warnings from ZA now

Usually you receive these warnings after updating. Allow and tick on remember.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed and confused View Post
    I finally updated to Firefox 3.6 and had to update my java as a result. Now I get all kinds of access requests from Java that I never had before. What is Java (TM) Quick Starter Binary, Java Scheduler, etc, and is it safe to deny it? I've been denying all java access requests unless I'm on a site (such as a gaming site) that requires java to function. I'm hoping malware didn't get slipped in when I updated. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Java Quick Starter pre-loads part of the Java app in Win XP so that when you view a Java object, there is less of a delay. It is optional, but enabled by default. Java Scheduler, I believe, checks for newer updates at a certain schedule, and is also optional, depending on your needs. Some people prefer to check manually.

If you wish you can set the options to Java so that things you don't need are disabled. Start the Java control panel. If you don't see it, you can find it by going to START>Control Panel. Once it opens, there are 5-6 different tabs of settings you can change, such as checking for updates, etc. Go through and configure the options for all tabs. If you remove the checkmarks from some of the items, it can obviate the need for Java to keep checking online. I think there is a checkmark that can be removed for the "Quick Starter", autoupdate, etc. Also you can review and set the security settings for Java in those options while you are there; many people probably neglect to do that.

More info on Update Scheduler at:
    http://java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml

More info on Quick Starter at:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/quickstarter.xml

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed and confused View Post
    When you get New or Repeat Program alerts you can click View Properties tab for Application info and the SmartDefense Advisor More Info tab.

e.g. at this link :

http://pralerts.zonealarm.com/pranal...overview&CL=en

Look under Help / Index / Program alerts and click Display for some basics on responding to program alerts.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue unless other users might want to provide input.

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.6.6
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.53.49 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.603.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.603.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1021091328
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 28th, 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added Version

Thread Information