Thread: Adding a wireless router...

stormsy Guest

Default Adding a wireless router...

Hi there!

I have decided to buy a wireless router so that I can also run my newly purchased laptop (using ZA as well) on the internet should some other member of the family decide to use the PC (which often at some point someone else is using and results in arguments. Best rather to keep the peace within the family ...)

The router I have chosen comes with its own firewall; which I believe most routers do anyway? My question is this; obviously having two firewalls will conflict which each other, so how exactly do I configue either ZA of the wireless router to work with each other and have both firewalls running at the same time?

Do I just need to enter in the IP address of the router into the ZA Firewall Panel and set it to "Trusted"?

Thanks,
    Stormsy.

garywa Guest

Default Re: Adding a wireless router...

A software firewall on your PC (ZoneAlarm) does NOT conflict with a hardware firewall in a router. Having 2 software firewall programs installed on the same PC WILL conflict with each other.

I have a wireless router setup with ZASS and it works fine.

Install the wireless router as per the manufacturer's instructions and then boot up your PC. ZA will detect the router during that boot process and ask you if you want to put the "New Network" into either the Internet or the Trusted zone. Select the Trusted zone. ZA should find the router's IP address on its own and configure itself correctly.

If after trying this you have problems, post back. But, it should work without any problem.
    Last edited by garywa; June 27th, 2010 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Clarification

stormsy Guest

Thanks for your reply garywa.

It all makes sense now...

I must've gotten confused over the wording the manufacturer used in the FAQ section about hardware firewalls and software firewalls.

Anyhow - just to wait for it to be delivered and set it up!

Thanks again!
    Stormsy.

garywa Guest

You're welcome.

stormsy Guest

Hey,

The router is all set up and ZA detected the network like you said, and I placed it into Trusted zone.

Just a quick question; I have no Internet Zones in my Firewall Zone, they are all Trusted. Is that okay? I can connect to the internet, just wondering if I should have any entried that are Internet.

Thanks,
    Stormsy.

If you are likely to share resources (printers, files, etc...) with other devices connected to the router then it is good your LAN (192.168.x.x/255...) to be set as TRUSTED.

If instead you are sure you are the only one using the router and you do not want to share any resources within the LAN then you can set it as "INTERNET". However, for the correct functioning of your connection you need to add the router address (most of the time = your DHCP address) to the ZA firewall TRUSTED zone. Ensure your ZA trusted zone is set to MEDIUM and NOT HIGH.

The router is now facing the internet and all the unsolicited incoming call will be deflated directly by the router. ZA will be your second line of defence of any incoming packets that will escape the router and for all outgoing connections.

Most importantly (security wise) is:

- Change the default password for accessing the router console;
    - Encrypt your wireless connection with WPA2 standards (AES cypher, if available) and use a password of at least 20 random alphanumeric characters

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stormsy Guest

Thanks for the info Fax!

I am just gonna leave it set as Trusted, can't really be bothered to adjust it now as it is all working very nicely. Quite pleased that it was easy to set up!

I am using WPA2 encryption for the wireless network and I have a good strong password for the network as well. I'm going to investigate adding MAC address to the MAC filter in the router - that can be done later, no need to rush now.

Thanks once again!
    Stormsy.

Quote Originally Posted by stormsy View Post
    I'm going to investigate adding MAC address to the MAC filter in the router - that can be done later, no need to rush now.
    You're welcome!
    Not worth adding the MAC, it can be easily faked and bypassed. The WPA2 is the only thing you need to protect your connection that has not been breaked yet.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information