Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zonealarm virus warning: fake or not? -> NOT

jusamo Guest

Default zonealarm virus warning: fake or not? -> NOT

"Security Alert: The Win32.Sality Virus disables antivirus and is spreading fast. The new ZoneAlarm Free Firewall has real-time threat data to protect against Sality and 1000's of new attacks every day. Get your FREE update now for better protection"

I have got this popup twice today. Is this real? I dont have ZoneAlarm antivirus. Only the firewall

edit: I tryed to check for updates from control center and I got that same pop-up window. It still feels a little suspicious for me.
    Last edited by fax; July 2nd, 2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: new info

clickr Guest

Default Re: zonealarm virus warning: fake or not?

Just downloaded and installed it...
    It's fine however it does say (while installing) something like " You are degrading your version of Zonealarm " but I think this is just because the name changes.

In fact it looks like you get some extra options and gadgets in this version... very interesting...

So there you go there should be nothing to worry about. Apart from it resets the programs you control.

Yes, apparently ZA free target the user at each boot or check for updates with adverts and offers to upgrade. If you do not want to upgrade to a retail version or latest free (if you are on an old version) just ignore it.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cautious skeptic Guest

be careful, be very careful.
    i am no expert, i recieved this this morning.
    i cannot close the box other than download or delay.
    i checked it in task manager and it is connected to zlclient.exe process.
    i ran a search for zlclient and found 2 files

WINDOWS\prefetch\ZLCLIENT.EXE-3881B646
    Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient

i decided i didn't like the look of the first one so i deleted it, then i emptied my recycle bin, then i rebooted. guess what, IT WAS BACK.
    have i missed something? have i got something wrong?

~~snip~~
    Last edited by fax; July 2nd, 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: offtopic

Its legit... its an update to the latest version.
    NOte that there is NO ZA staff here, only users.

Thank you in advance for keeping the thread on topic. Open a new thread to get user help on removing or reinstalling the latest version, please do not pollute this one.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; July 2nd, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

mobytech Guest

Default Re: zonealarm virus warning: fake or not? -> NOT

Is this an update to Free version of the firewall, or is it a paid upgrade or add on?

Please read carefully the notice, if it refers to ZAfree than its an offer to update to the latest ZAfree. If you have already installed the latest version of ZAfree then its an offer to upgrade to a retail version.

Cheers,
    Fax

Orana Guest

I am concerned, because I could not find instructions how to install the new version. I have made download on very slow connection, 44+Mb of new ZoneAlarm Free, but see no installer file anywhere. I remember this was needed in previous times? (Forgive me, please, because I am unwell and easily confused, but do not want to make any mistake with this.)

Also, to me it did seem the pop-up about the sality virus was urging quick action, like 'do it NOW, hurry' (but ofcourse it didn't say those words). Am I wrong? Because, when searching for details, I am seeing that this version [zaSetup_92_057_000_en] is beta release. Is that correct? I usually try to avoid beta releases since I am not skilled with these things, and would just make more troubles for myself and others with it, I think (smile).

I appreciate your reply to my questions.

Kind regards from Orana

Quote Originally Posted by Orana View Post
    I am concerned, because I could not find instructions how to install the new version. I have made download on very slow connection, 44+Mb of new ZoneAlarm Free, but see no installer file anywhere. I remember this was needed in previous times? (Forgive me, please, because I am unwell and easily confused, but do not want to make any mistake with this.)

Also, to me it did seem the pop-up about the sality virus was urging quick action, like 'do it NOW, hurry' (but ofcourse it didn't say those words). Am I wrong? Because, when searching for details, I am seeing that this version [zaSetup_92_057_000_en] is beta release. Is that correct? I usually try to avoid beta releases since I am not skilled with these things, and would just make more troubles for myself and others with it, I think (smile).

I appreciate your reply to my questions.

Kind regards from Orana

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

[zaSetup_92_057_000_en.exe] is not a BETA release..

The latest ZoneAlarm Free Firewall release is 9.2.057.000.

The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZoneAlarm free updates

Click on the (Global Sites) Tab on the Top Right side to Select ZA Propducts in other Languages..

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Orana Guest

Thank you GeorgeV, so much for your reply, so quickly! I have copied all your good advice to my computer for instruction.

I am troubled still by a few things:

Where I downloaded, the information show that [zaSetup_92_057_000_en.exe] is free version. The numbers are little bit different configuration in your reply, but still the same numbers. So, I have the correct file, yes? It is 45,801 Kb.

Still now I am worried because for my download I use Get Right. My dialup connection is very slow, and it stops frequently. I have often "the server severed the connection" messages. Will my file not be good? (I do not know how I can download without Get Right)

Also, my last ZA Free [zaZA_Setup_en (version 8.0.65.0)] was 27,121 Kb. I had the installer file [zaSetup_en] 261 Kb for that one. However, I can not find the installer, or setup file for this new one. Can you help me to find where I can download this one?

Last question: Can the [zaclient91_user_manual] be useful for users of ZA free? Or is purchased version too different? I am much in need of some "education" and guideline with all this (oh, my)(smile).

Again, I appreciate your help very much.

Kind regards from Orana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information