Thread: Update acts like a Downgrade

itsmeyesok Guest

Default Update acts like a Downgrade

My OS: Windows XP Professional

I've been using ZoneAlarm Firewall for years and i never had any trouble.
    Now it was asking me for a few days already to "update now". So I did it today. Installed the new one, all fine.

But when i use µTorrent the process vsmon.exe ( which apparently is a ZoneAlarm process ) starts eating the CPU at 100 %
    When i turn µTorrent off, the vsmon.exe drops from 100 % CPU usage to 0 % - 1 %
    ~~SNIP~~
    Now some sideline frustration from me:
    ~~Snip~
    Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 6th, 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Offtopic Comments

Default Re: Update acts like a Downgrade

Maybe the following Forum Thread will help You..

http://forum.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=74691
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 6th, 2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo

itsmeyesok Guest

I performed all the steps which are there, but it didn't fix the problem.

Whenever i start µTorrent and it starts downloading the Torrents from multiple users ( Seeds ), the vsmon.exe process goes through the roof, as if it wants to check every single connection with a Seed ( and Peers ).

It never used to perform this kind of behavior in the older versions of ZoneAlarm.
    It does not show this behavior with other programs ( haven't tried any online games yet though ). But then again, other programs don't use a whole bunch of connections to other computers.

When i turn µTorrent off ( and thus it stops downloading torrents ), the process vsmon.exe will also drop totally in CPU usage. So it's 100 % certainly related.
    Last edited by itsmeyesok; July 10th, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: additional info added

Quote:

"I performed all the steps which are there, but it didn't fix the problem.

Whenever i start µTorrent and it starts downloading the Torrents from multiple users ( Seeds ), the vsmon.exe process goes through the roof, as if it wants to check every single connection with a Seed ( and Peers )."

The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, or uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

NOTE: If you need a Language other than English, Click on the (Global Sites) Tab on the Top Right side to Select ZA Propducts in other Languages..

ZoneAlarm free updates

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean install) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and (is Optional) Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 3rd, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

itsmeyesok Guest

These are the steps i went through,
    and it did not solve the problem.

In fact it made things worse: now explorer.exe starts up slower ( 15 - 20 seconds ) than it used to do.
    This has nothing to do with the problem of this topic, but it's worth mentioning.

Thread Information