Thread: Problems with ZA Free 9.2.057 Program Control

SueSchmidt Guest

Default Problems with ZA Free 9.2.057 Program Control

Yesterday I upgraded my computer to Windows XP Home Edition SP3, upgraded to Norton Antivirus 2010 and installed ZoneAlarm Free ed ver. 9.2.057.000, despite misgivings due to the fact that my computer is several years old with VERY OLD components/drivers and the previous version of ZA caused such a drag on my system that rebooting took on the average of 18-24 MINUTES, which Tech Support says was due to the old drivers. In any case, the current ZA only takes 5-7 minutes, but believe it or not, that's not the biggest problem I'm having: Something in the program is ignoring its own Programs List and every time it detects an application that might conceivably have the capacity to access the Internet, ZA adds it to the list (AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN). Even though this ZA has been on my computer for only 1 day, the list is already over 100 entries and I've deleted 40-50 entries already! In addition to multiple listings of the same applications (like 5 entries for Firefox), I've got dozens of entries for things in the Temp directory, a multitude of listings that seem to be components of Windows including dozens that seem to have been from the SP3 installation or from the NAV 2010 upgrade and for each application that I reinstalled after the upgrade, there's at least two entries for each one (like 3 entries for Spybot, 5 for WinPatrol and so on). In
    fact, the majority of them seem to be in the Temp directory. I've been using ZA since 2001 and I've never encountered anything like this before and it seems as if the "individual components" option has been turned on
    even though because I'm using the Free edition, I wasn't the one who turned it on and I don't have the ability to access it to turn it off. So I'd really need to know if anyone out there in the Community has ever had a similar problem with this version of ZA and knows how to stop it.

Default Re: Problems with Program Control

Hi SueSchmidt,

Let's try resetting the ZoneAlarm settings. Please follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings, but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together.
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner.
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up.
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box.
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system.
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot.

In fact, the majority of them seem to be in the Temp directory
    I'm actually quite concerned about this. Most legitimate programs and applications run from their own folders, not temp directories.
    Your computer may have been infected. Can you give more details on the listings which are in the Temp directory?

Default Re: Problems with ZA Free 9.2.057 Program Control

Hi,

Thanks for returning to update me. Glad that the matter is resolved at least.

chiaz

Thread Information