Thread: vsmon takes too much processing power - only antivirus installed

dpenndorf Guest

Default vsmon takes too much processing power - only antivirus installed

Hi,

I had Zone Alarm Internet Security installed but decided to use only AntiVirus this year. I did a "/clean" uninstall following the directions I found by Uriel3 here: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11324736. I then installed with zaAvSetup_91_603_000_en.exe.

Now whenever I transfer files over Skype, or reading/writing to a Oracle database I have installed locally, the vsmon.exe process chews up to 50% of my available CPU. This did not occur with my Internet Security (though, when there was the latest upgrade earlier this year, I avoided taking it because I saw on forums that vsmon.exe would take too many resources).

I have turned off the firewall on both the ZoneAlarm Control Center, and Windows' Security Center. I have tested with both on-access Anti-virus enabled and disabled. As long as vsmon.exe is running, I get terrible performance in the above two instances (skype file transfer, and reading/writing to Oracle db). When I shutdown ZoneAlarm anti-virus altogether (and vsmon.exe stops), then my performance is normal.

What are my options to still use the anti-virus only without vsmon.exe? Or, only have anti-virus for opening files, and not for transferring? Or whatever else my options might be?

I have a Latitude E6400 (~3ghz dual core, 4gb RAM), Windows XP SP3 machine. I have never used another internet security, anti-virus or firewall (other than windows native one) on this machine.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by dpenndorf; July 13th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.

Default Re: vsmon takes too much processing power - only antivirus installed

You may want to investigate better which process trigger vsmon activity by using process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx). Also try to exclude oracle and/or skype relevant executable from the on-access scan (advanced options of the antivirus/antispyware section).

Try to boot your system selectively to undertand if there are any third party software conflicts, this way:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

Have you customised any settings in ZA? This may have created the problem. Reset them to factory settings:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Finally, as registered user of ZA you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support. Link in my signature.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; July 14th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dpenndorf Guest

Thanks for your response Fax. I tried your steps. No luck. I then spent multiple hours with online tech support speaking with 3 different zonealarm support staff. They were very friendly and I encourage anyone having problems to contact them. Unfortunately, they couldn't figure out what was happening. So I returned my zonealarm purchase (was still witihin 30 days). ~~snip~~
    Last edited by fax; July 15th, 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: offtopic - competing tools - Violates forum rules

I am sorry you did not manage to find the issue. Good luck with your security tools.

Since you are not using anymore a ZA product I closed this thread.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information