Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Startup

Dead Guest

Default Slow Startup

Hello, I have been using ZoneAlarm Free for a little while now, but for some reason I am having problems with it.

I had some problems with an old computer so I had restored it using OS restore disc, and had then started reinstalling all of the applications, however after I had installed zonealarm free the start up of my OS is very slow (say 2 min), but when I uninstall zonealarm it starts up as normal.

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

OS = Windows XP Home 32bit

Oh by the way I already tried to reset ZA with the same results.

My problem starts right after the computer restarts after ZA is installed, and when uninstalled the OS starts up very quickly (say about 3 seconds of "Welcome" blue screen).
    Last edited by Dead; July 14th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.

Default Re: Slow Startup

Hi,

Oh by the way I already tried to reset ZA with the same results.
    Not exactly sure what you mean here, but have you tried a clean reinstallation of ZA?

Download and run the cpes_clean tool:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    This will do a clean uninstallation of ZoneAlarm from your system.

Now you can download the latest version of ZoneAlarm Free (9.2.057.000) from here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Follow the prompts to install, and then restart your PC.

Let me know how it goes.

chiaz

evvivame Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chiaz View Post
    Hi,

Not exactly sure what you mean here, but have you tried a clean reinstallation of ZA?

Download and run the cpes_clean tool:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    This will do a clean uninstallation of ZoneAlarm from your system.

Now you can download the latest version of ZoneAlarm Free (9.2.057.000) from here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Follow the prompts to install, and then restart your PC.

Let me know how it goes.

chiaz
    Chiaz,

this means that isn't possible the (simple) program upgrade ( from v8.0.298 to 9.2.057) ??
    (rif. my http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=74739 )

Thanks

Hi evvivame,

Choosing the "Upgrade" option may cause some problems during the installation of the new version.

I would recommend everyone choose the "Clean Install" option whenever installing a newer version.
    For the average user, it only takes a couple of minutes to set up your preferred settings again.

If you're having problems with ZoneAlarm, I would suggest trying the clean reinstallation route first (per my first post in this thread).

chiaz

evvivame Guest

@chiaz

Thanks for the support !

I have only performances problem only wit 9.2 ( not with 8.0 or 9.1.007.004)

About your:
    For the average user, it only takes a couple of minutes to set up your preferred settings again.

I update with VNC remote station unattended and while switching from ZA --->Windows firewall--->ZA i can loss the connection.....

Dead Guest

Oh, sorry the reset thing was about the earlier / old posts of shift, ctrl, right clicking the zonealarm icon and selecting "reset".

Trying the programs now... but the thing is... I downloaded the "zaSetup_92_057_000_en.exe" and ran that... there was no updates.

hmmm... nope still no change...

The blue "Welcome" screen still gets stuck for like 20-30 seconds, then the screen goes black with the mouse arrow, but nothing else comes out for like 50-60 seconds.

and when I remove/uninstall zonealarm free the blue "Welcome" screen only stays for about 3-5 seconds and when it goes away, the desktop is up, and there is no black screen pause. All icons are there and not just the mouse arrow.

Just to be safe downloaded and installed Malwarebytes / updated it / and now restarted in safe mode and am running a full scan, just to check to see if its some type of virus or something.
    Last edited by Dead; July 15th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.

Dead Guest

hmm no detections for viruses or bugs... I'm at a loss of what to do. Friends have said that they have been using it for years without any problems that I am having makes me wonder if its zonealarm that has changed something, or if it is some type of virus...

Quote Originally Posted by Dead View Post
    hmm no detections for viruses or bugs... I'm at a loss of what to do. Friends have said that they have been using it for years without any problems that I am having makes me wonder if its zonealarm that has changed something, or if it is some type of virus...
    Here is the Recommended Malware Clean-up Guidance:
    NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (version 9.1.507 onwards or 9.2 for ZA Free). If you are not, please update.

Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Super Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    2. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    3. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    4. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to default Quick scan

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

A. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running (you can change the .exe into a .com)
    B. Use the superantispyware online cleaning tool --> Here or download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running.

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

For a final check that your PC is clean run Hitman Pro cloud scanning (the scanner is free not the cleaning)

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to Bleepingcomputer or SpywareHammer

Once you have cleaned the system please remember to purge the windows system restore points. You may be reinfected otherwise.
    - Disable system restore (How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE);
    - Reboot the PC
    - Re-ensable system restore

Please Report back with your progress Report..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Dead Guest

Hello... not trying to say it IS a virus... but didn't know what else to do as it seems like its zonealarm that maybe causing the slow down.

I have read that there have been a lot of changes to zonealarm over the past year, and just had a problem with my netbook about a month ago, so I've been trying to find a way to fix it.

I have restored the netbook to its manufacture setting by using the restore disc that came with the netbook, and had reinstalled all of the updates, but when it comes to the point that I install zonealarm, it seems to cause a large spike in load times.

As I stated above more then what I think is normal, as I have been using ZA free firewall for almost a year... and only up to that point last month did I start to have any type of problems, and specifically the load time problem now.

I just wanted to check for malware to see if that may be the cause.

Also.. when you say... "Here is the Recommended Malware Clean-up Guidance: NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (version 9.1.507 onwards or 9.2 for ZA Free). If you are not, please update."

I've checked the computer with ZoneAlarm Free firewall... did you mean one of the trial versions of ZA?

I ask this cause the free firewall version does not have antivirus / antispyware.

In regards to the netbook, I have already started up the computer in safe mode and ran malwarebytes with no results or 0 detections.

I have downloaded the bootable cd and will be running it shortly and am now downloading and will install/run the ZA ES trial version as well.

I will make a full report after this has been done.

And thank you for your help with all of this.
    Last edited by Dead; July 15th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Not to worry, just Skip that part and continue with the reast of the Guide..

9.2.057.000 was released to the public on June 25, 2010. For changes in this version, click here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information